Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Hardest fighting freshwater fish?

fly fishing south africa yellowfish freshwater fish hardest fighting

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#16 flyty1

flyty1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 09:23 PM

I won't disagree with the sunfish as the hardest fighting pound for pound. However, the freshwater fish I have had the most fun taking on a fly is the american shad. The sea run fish in the spring are lots of fun to take on light fly tackle.

#17 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 09:24 PM

Flathead and carp both have lots of mass, neither has to fight much to tear up tackle. One or the other straightened my line so fast I barely felt it before the 8# tippet parted a couple months ago. I've had black bass (LM & SM) just go to the bottom and sulk.

I don't believe in oscar either, I never seen one. another myth! Pull a bluegill backwards? go on

#18 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 09:26 PM

Im not qualified either. I havent caught all these fish mentioned.. but yeah I lean towards the bluegill if they grew to 5 pounds you would have to use 20# test get them in.

But Wipers bet them. I use to have a honey hole for them and have caught hundreds and hundreds of them.

Most of the ones I caught where in the 4 to 7 pound range.
Caught them up to 12#s or so.

9 8wt rod 16# test tippet...Stand rod straight up and hold the line..Dont give them an inch..Rod is going to break...Point the rod straight at them and dont given them an inch... The line is going to break....these are the smaller ones....They dont call them Wipers for nothing.

They say if LM bass grew to 50 pounds humans couldnt go swimming in any lake that held them.

#19 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 10:49 PM

I haven't fished for them, but I'd be willing to bet the Nile perch are pretty high up on the list.

#20 JSzymczyk

JSzymczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:33 PM

Niugini bass.

the gales of November remembered...

#21 Fisherboy0301

Fisherboy0301

17 going on 40

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 04:50 PM

Wipers for sure (aka sunshine bass, white bass x striped bass hybrids. Sterile, occurring in places where theyre hatchery stocked) they are little tanks and will fight very hard until theyre just about dead.
<p>"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, but Today is a gift, thats why they call it the present." - Anonymous"

Snakes are first cowards, then bluffers, and last of all warriors." - Clifford Pope

"To him, all good things -trout as well as eternal salvation- come by grace, and grace comes by art, and art does not come easy." - Norman Maclean  "A River Runs Through It"

Tenkara is only for little fish!                                                                     </p>

#22 JC Hoppaire

JC Hoppaire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 06:22 PM

Lefty Kreh claimed that the New Guinea Black Bass was the toughest fresh water fish he ever caught.

#23 islander727

islander727

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 11:05 AM

Out of all the fish I've caught, I'd go with peacock bass.

#24 whatfly

whatfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 03:21 PM

Wipers

#25 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 04:43 PM

Never been lucky enough to experience a sea run salmon but got to be strongest of the fish that live in fast current as opposed to any still water species. Those breamses ain't jumping waterfalls all day long....the fight is over pretty quick...
2035.gifC33-F8428-B3-CD-4-B95-B23-B-4-D28-D631-A

#26 fishinguy

fishinguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:58 PM

Lefty Kreh claimed that the New Guinea Black Bass was the toughest fresh water fish he ever caught.

that second video is wild. Wish he'd have said which weight rod that was that he broke.

#27 rstaight

rstaight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 03:58 PM

Was reading another thread and carp was mentioned as a hard fighter. They are, but the same size red fish makes them look like a *****, lets say wimp.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.  Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." - Patrick F. McManus

#28 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 04:58 PM

find you a 6 ounce redfish or bass or guinea bass or carp and try it for fight,  then get you a 40 pound bluegill and try it, I'm bettin on the 40# blugill outfighting all the 6 oz others. Carp I've caught did not fight much at all, they just swam off weighing enough to feel like a like fight.

Some SMB fight hard, jump and do cartwheels others (bigger ones usually) just go lay on the bottom. Each fish is different and today's catch is the greatest of all.

#29 Orange/Partridge

Orange/Partridge

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 04:44 PM

Hi folks, new comer here, but I will add my comments if that is alright. 

I would say that the tackle would determine the answer to that question. 

If you catch a 5# bass on a tuna rod, not much there, but catch a 5# bass 

on a 2 weight, and you might get a big smile out of it. 

My self, I prefer blue gill on a 2 weight or a steelhead on an 8 weight. 

#30 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,750 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 06:39 PM

Welcome to the site 0/P.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fly fishing, south africa, yellowfish, freshwater, fish, hardest fighting