Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Hardest fighting freshwater fish?

fly fishing south africa yellowfish freshwater fish hardest fighting

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#31 Orange/Partridge

Orange/Partridge

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 12:33 PM

Thank you, Mike.  Good to be with the group. 

#32 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 03:25 PM

Hi folks, new comer here, but I will add my comments if that is alright. 

I would say that the tackle would determine the answer to that question. 
If you catch a 5# bass on a tuna rod, not much there, but catch a 5# bass 
on a 2 weight, and you might get a big smile out of it. 

My self, I prefer blue gill on a 2 weight or a steelhead on an 8 weight. 

but the fight in the fish is the same a 500 pound tuna is going to fight so hard you aren't going to land it on a regular rod, 5 pound bass wouldn't much fun on the same rod bit it's fighting just as hard as if it were on a 2 wt.

#33 Orange/Partridge

Orange/Partridge

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 08:18 PM

Hi folks, new comer here, but I will add my comments if that is alright. 

I would say that the tackle would determine the answer to that question. 
If you catch a 5# bass on a tuna rod, not much there, but catch a 5# bass 
on a 2 weight, and you might get a big smile out of it. 

My self, I prefer blue gill on a 2 weight or a steelhead on an 8 weight. 

but the fight in the fish is the same a 500 pound tuna is going to fight so hard you aren't going to land it on a regular rod, 5 pound bass wouldn't much fun on the same rod bit it's fighting just as hard as if it were on a 2 wt.

Well, that is a valid point, but my perception is on my end of the rod. As far as the fish goes, the only thing I can use to measure

is my experience, and that would call for a Steelhead. 

#34 Kreelex529

Kreelex529

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 10:29 AM

In my experience I would have to say Hybrid or a Striper!

#35 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 10:52 AM

https://www.facebook...56630958144938/
2035.gifC33-F8428-B3-CD-4-B95-B23-B-4-D28-D631-A

#36 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 12:33 PM

I've been thinking about this.  Based more on fishing spinning tackle, I'd say carp.  I've only hooked two on the fly rod and both had me thinking monster bass before they broke me off and I got a glimpse of what I'd hooked.    Otherwise, smallmouth and large sunfish on either a 5 wgt or a 6 wgt.

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

#37 DarrellP

DarrellP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 06:46 AM

Bluegill and other sunfish.  Ounce for ounce, the hardest fighting fish in the world.:D

I don't know the other fish you mention ... and will likely never see them, so I'm sticking with my answer.;)

This
"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job." John Geirach

#38 wr1nkles

wr1nkles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 12:27 PM

I'm new to this forum and fly fishing, but thought I'd chime in....

My favorite are smallmouth on the 5wt. That's what really got me hooked on fly fishing, and kept me going out every night to the ponds.

My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too.

#39 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,746 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 07:56 PM

Welcome to the site, Wr1nkles.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#40 Flicted

Flicted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 08:13 AM

Pound for pound, I'd have to agree with mikechell.  But that is really hard to call if you've ever fought a carp or a pike on a fly rod. 

#41 DrLogik

DrLogik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 09:28 PM

The "hardest fighting fish"?  Probably a Bluegill.

The "Hardest fish to fight"?  A Sturgeon. 

#42 Rocco

Rocco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 06:28 AM

Once you scale the tackle to the size of the game fish you get the max fight and the most fun.  That done its pretty much a wash for me except that steel head in fast current provide all the challenge I will ever need.

Rocco 

#43 DFoster

DFoster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:24 AM

My favorite are Brook Trout when the water is cold - not very big but lots of attitude.

And you thought golf was frustrating-

#44 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 12:09 AM

It's a tough one. Bluegills use that flat body to outperform their size. Smallmouth not only fight hard but often give you thrill of wild jumps. Wipers again put their all into the fight but never jump. Since this thread called for the hardest fighting fish it's impossible not to bring size into it. A two pound bluegill will put up a heck of a fight but a 20# northern or 40# musky will test tackle like no smaller fish is able to. For me, I have to bring into the game factors such as their jumping habits, speed of runs, sheer power in currents, and I have to go with the steelhead. Even though I've never caught them over 15# in waters of the Great Lakes they are by far the most fun of any fish I've ever caught. Big chinooks, caught in current on fly rods, just don't compare with the excitement of a steelhead on the line. Fight to me is similar to a big carp, both of which I've caught 20#s plus. We once hit a fresh run of cohos in a Michigan stream and they didn't jump much but had speed runs to match any other fish I've ever hooked. With an average around 12#s you'd set the hook and it was a mad run for the lake and you weren't going to land one without a chase.

Okay, I love the fight of any fish and the flavor of most on the table, but to pick one for me it has to go to the steelhead.

#45 tidewaterfly

tidewaterfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 01:12 AM

I also agree with Mike. If Bluegills and other of the sunfish family members got to be 10 lbs or more, they're pull you in the water. smile.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fly fishing, south africa, yellowfish, freshwater, fish, hardest fighting