Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Letís hash this out...specific rod for a fly

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#46 TheCream

TheCream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 12:03 PM

Im kind of with you Mike
I have a Bream fly rod, (3-4wt) a small bass pond rod (5-7 wt) and then a serious LM Bass Rods (8-10 wt)

The reason I brought this thread up is because I think guys just getting into this sport get overwhelmed and missed lead Into thinking they have to have a streamer rod,a nymph rod and a dry fly rod because what they read here and in the mags/TV

Flyfishing can be a rich mans sport or a blue-collar sport.

I think most guys get lead to its a rich mans sport when it doesnt need to be

In my opinion, it's all about convenience.  Will a 9' 5wt do most things?  Yes.  I have one, I love it, I fish it a lot.  Is it too much rod for small stream trout, both in weight and length?  For me, yes.  Is a 10' rod more beneficial for nymph fishing trout streams?  In my opinion, yes.  Can I use the same 9' 5wt for dry fly and dry/dropper fishing as well as streamer fishing a trout stream?  In most cases, yes.  But, is it convenient to keep swapping leaders and tippet setups from 6x and a 12' leader for dry flies to a shorter leader and 2x for streamers?  Nope.  It's a whole lot more convenient, for me, to have a 6wt rigged with a streamer setup and carry two rods.  Less time rigging, more time fishing. 

One rod can do most things.  I agree.  But there are situations and scenarios where I don't think it's the perfect tool for the job.  It's like carrying a Leatherman.  It's good at some things, and it's handy, but if you have a stubborn screw to remove would you rather have the Leatherman or a screw driver that fits the screw head and is easier to use?  The Leatherman can do it, a screw driver fits the situation better.