Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Opinions about multi fly set ups

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#46 xvigauge

xvigauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 08:26 PM

I have probably posted this same story before somewhere on the forum, but I love telling it so please bear with me. I remember as a little kid watch a fishing show that starred Lee Wulff. He was taken to a remote spot in some river in Labrador, Canada via float plane. He was fishing for large brook trout and was using a (I believe) 6 foot bamboo fly rod. To find out which streamer the trout would like, he tied on three different streamers to fish all three at the same time. He hooked three large brook trout instantly and landed all three in the same net all at one time. Lee has always been my hero.

Joe

#47 DarrellP

DarrellP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 10:04 AM

I use a foam fly with a nymph or wet tied to the hook bend. This generally keeps the bottom fly out of the gnarly bottom debris. I fish still water for warm water species.

When fishing for trout with tiny flies, I tie them behind a large Caddis fly for an indicator.
"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job." John Geirach

#48 flyty1

flyty1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 06:11 PM

Waste of time - concentrate on the position you want to fish!

#49 Pyme Fisher

Pyme Fisher

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 11:47 AM

...cant remember a fish ever taking the top fly, and I always worry about the damage a fish will cause getting wrapped up in the second hook.

Likewise here.

I've had a few guys convince me to try two flies at once, but I've never really enjoyed it or been comfortable with it.

On those few occasions, and when I did catch a fish, it was almost always on the bottom fly anyway.

I guess I just prefer simple and streamlined.

#50 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 01:47 PM

I always cast better with only one fly, however, I just got back from a trip to the Spokane area where we fished hoppers and droppers and poppers and droppers for blue gills and smallmouth bass.

It was a blast. It was a self guided trip, I fished mostly poppers from Mike West, thank you Mike.

I caught more fish on the dropper than the popper but a fair percentage were caught on the popper. Maybe 35/65. There can be no doubt, though, that the action of the popper above created so much attraction that it made the dropper more effective than if I just fished the dropper.

#51 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,750 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 03:28 PM

There can be no doubt, though, that the action of the popper above created so much attraction that it made the dropper more effective than if I just fished the dropper.

Not doubting, just concerned with accuracy. 

Did you actually fish with the fly you used as a dropper, by itself?  The experiment isn't complete without an equal time of fishing just the dropper as a control.  There's too much evidence that fish will hit a single fly to say they'll be MORE inclined to hit a dropper under a commotion causing hopper, etc.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#52 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 06:38 PM

There can be no doubt, though, that the action of the popper above created so much attraction that it made the dropper more effective than if I just fished the dropper.

Not doubting, just concerned with accuracy. 

Did you actually fish with the fly you used as a dropper, by itself?  The experiment isn't complete without an equal time of fishing just the dropper as a control.  There's too much evidence that fish will hit a single fly to say they'll be MORE inclined to hit a dropper under a commotion causing hopper, etc.

Yes, I fished quite a bit with just a fly, and just a popper but by far the best presentation was a popper (one of Mike's) with a San Juan worm 20 inches below it.

We fished for five days. Four to five hours in the morning, starting at five. back to the cabin at ten for breakfast and a nap and then back out on the lake from five till dark (10:00). We had lots of time to try different things. We tried foam bugs, dries, woolly buggers, really everything in the box.

At times we could see the fish and I would cast past them or even right on top of them and wait till the rings dissipated. The fish would gather around but not really bight, then as soon as I popped the popper they would really get going. We caught some fish on almost anything but like I said, the popper/dropper was the hot thing on this trip.

#53 j8000

j8000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 08:12 PM

Sounds like a great trip Mark. I've done the dropper to a popper last year for the first time. And depending on the circumstances I've had moderate to good success, especially in spring. Actually for me spring has been the only time I've tried this combo since where I fish for bass, they don't take the popper to well in the summer.