Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Fly Fishing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TIER

TIER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 04:27 PM

I want to put a tub in my back yard that's about 15 yards in diameter, and 2 feet tall. What fish can/should I put in there? I have a lot of flies that need to test out. Mabey gold fish. Midget trout?

#2 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 04:38 PM

Here's the thing, if you do that, the fish will no longer be in their natural environment. They are likely to not act at all how they might if they were free swimming, wild fish. Besides that, it's not legal to keep wild fish.

You are much better off to just fish a lot.

#3 DFoster

DFoster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:36 AM

Here's the thing, if you do that, the fish will no longer be in their natural environment. They are likely to not act at all how they might if they were free swimming, wild fish. Besides that, it's not legal to keep wild fish.

You are much better off to just fish a lot.

Yup - what Mark said.

And you thought golf was frustrating-

#4 FishnPhil

FishnPhil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 10:29 AM

There are a lot of problems with what you are thinking. 2ft is not deep enough, how will you keep it from freezing in winter, what about predators eating your fish, etc.  

The biggest problem will be the birds eating your fish. I see you live in Alaska, which likely means you have so many fish eating birds around you that within days your fish will be eaten. That's not to mention all the other meat eaters in the woods that will come running to the fresh fish dinner you've setup for them.

Listen to Mark on this one, tie as many flies as you can carry and take them out to try them. Also remember, just because the fly didn't work that day, it might work the next. Don't give up on any of your patterns if you think they'll work!