Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Johnson Fly reel?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Swampfoxforeman

Swampfoxforeman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 05:17 PM

What can you tell me about the Johnson Magnetic fly reels?

#2 Charlie P. (NY)

Charlie P. (NY)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 07:44 PM

There were at least a #3, #5 and #7.  Mid 1940's to mis 1950's (?)

JohnsonMagneticReelPapers_zps2ac6b635.jp

JohnsonMagneticNo5_zpsf8cac6ad.jpg

Not that Pearsall

Pearsalls_logo.gif

#3 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 12:27 AM

Think they still made them in the '60s when they owned Phillipson Rods, as well, I've only read about them, drag is non adjustable and the same going in or out because it is a magnet. Some said the drag was a little high for trout tippets. The 3 was for DT6, iirc.

#4 xvigauge

xvigauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 09:14 PM

They are really good well made reels. This reel was the favorite of the late Joe Brooks. I had one but sold it as I just could not get past the quietness of the reel. They are dead silent going in or going out.

Joe

#5 Swampfoxforeman

Swampfoxforeman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 09:30 PM

My last name is Johnson, and I have several other Johnson reels. I thought it would be nice to pick one up, but the only one I seen for sale is a mod 3 and they want $150. I have a buddy that is trying to buy my 5wt setup. So I may sale it to him and get another 5wt setup. If I do I would get a rod from steeldrifter, and not sure of reel. Johnson maybe or a Galvan T5 or a Rush.

#6 Swampfoxforeman

Swampfoxforeman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 05:56 PM

Well I have decided to sale my 5wt setup and get drifter to build me a 5wt rod. I have also decided to get a Galvan Rush LT $100 more for the Torque n it only saves 3oz ain’t worth it to me.

#7 Swampfoxforeman

Swampfoxforeman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 08:33 PM

Question what weight line for does a Johnson model 3 take?