Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Questions about spearfishing, fly fishing, snagging, and bowfishing

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TIER

TIER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 03:24 PM

Okay, lets start with bowfishing and spearfishing. I am doing all my fishing in the Valdez harbor. I'm not sure why, but salmon come in in the fall. I think they lay eggs at that time.

1. Is it legal in saltwater?

2. How to tell a pink from a silver and a pink from a red?

3. Would a 15 pound peak draw weight bow work?

4. In Alaska, do you have to take a class to bow and spear fish?

Okay, now snagging.

1. How long should I wait before reeling in after the hook hits the water?

Finally, fly fishing.

1. What flies would work?

2. Do reds still keep their mouths open all the time?

3. Would on eggs sucking leech work?

#2 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,748 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 04:05 PM

Bowfishing and snagging are for "harvesting" fish.  It's simply a way to kill food.  No sport involved, and obviously, no chance to catch and release.

In all States I am familiar with, bowfishing and spearfishing are illegal ways to take ANY game fish in freshwater.  I don't know or care about salt water.

I don't know anything about fly fishing for Alaskan fish.  Good luck.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#3 Capt Bob LeMay

Capt Bob LeMay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 05:11 PM

My one time in Alaska - all those years ago I remember reading that game wardens make a point of hunting down and ticketing anyone greedy enough to try snagging salmon in rivers - have no idea of their rules in the salt....

Tight lines Bob LeMay (954) 435-5666

#4 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 06:22 PM

These are questions you should ask your fish and game, it's going to very state to state and Alaska has different regulations for its residents than for out of staters like most of us.

#5 fshng2

fshng2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 09:00 PM

This should answer all your questions regarding bowfishing, spearfishing, & snagging.
http://www.adfg.alas...gulations.sport
Alaska Sport Fishing Regulations
How to use this Site
Select a region from the map or nearby text listing and look for region-wide regulations.
Then go to the drainage or area you will be fishing and look for specific regulations.
NOTICE: Emergency Orders (EOs) always supersede the published regulations.
Check for current EOs & News Releases before finalizing your plans.

#6 Rocco

Rocco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 06:05 AM

You must be joking!

What flies work?!!!!

Blasting caps are better. 

Rocco 

#7 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:16 AM

It's actually legal to spearfish some game fish (pike) in Alaska and many states (other game fish in other states like perch), and it can be very sporting.

You use a decoy, sit quietly for hours, when a fish is lured under the hole you cut through thirty inches of ice you have to very stealthily lower the spear into the water so you don't make a noise or a ripple and then fling the spear.

I'm working on a video about it.

#8 TIER

TIER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 12:45 PM

It's actually legal to spearfish some game fish (pike) in Alaska and many states (other game fish in other states like perch), and it can be very sporting.

You use a decoy, sit quietly for hours, when a fish is lured under the hole you cut through thirty inches of ice you have to very stealthily lower the spear into the water so you don't make a noise or a ripple and then fling the spear.

My idea is wait for a salmon to come out from under the platform, then yeat a spear at it.

#9 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 09:38 PM

My idea is wait for a salmon to come out from under the platform, then yeat a spear at it.

Not legal

#10 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:50 PM

This should answer all your questions regarding bowfishing, spearfishing, & snagging.
http://www.adfg.alas...gulations.sport
Alaska Sport Fishing Regulations
How to use this Site
Select a region from the map or nearby text listing and look for region-wide regulations.
Then go to the drainage or area you will be fishing and look for specific regulations.
NOTICE: Emergency Orders (EOs) always supersede the published regulations.
Check for current EOs & News Releases before finalizing your plans.

Best info you will get right here.