Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Help identifying my new-found rod...

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 Capt Bob LeMay

Capt Bob LeMay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 03:18 PM

Funny, my T & T blanks were not numbered at all - probably only for finished rods.

Tight lines Bob LeMay (954) 435-5666

#17 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 12:52 AM

Here are pics...

48622189007_42f902d6cc_h.jpg

48621688878_8e3b85f09f_h.jpg

48621688698_d74a938e4b_h.jpg

48622188737_3a4e4ba81a_h.jpg

48621688578_b9f8b0d9b6_h.jpg

48621688478_d9356d16d9_h.jpg

48622188512_9db3e002b5_h.jpg

48622188332_e809fb93bf_h.jpg

48622188232_8c1bd8db05_h.jpg

48621688148_ca2b894620_h.jpg

cb27

#18 Capt Bob LeMay

Capt Bob LeMay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 06:37 AM

Very nice...

#19 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 10:00 AM

Well, I finally spoke with T&T, thank you FT for the suggestion. Yes, it's a serial number... So, the rod is the original first generation graphite, before T&T began the Horizon, Avant, etc models. They put out the rod in three weights, 6, 7, and 8. Carbide stripper, silver chromed snake guides, aluminum reel seat hardware. They're sending me a scanned catalogue, I'll post it when I get it.

Still smiling!
cb27

#20 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,364 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 10:38 AM

there ya go! easy peazy. all of the guess work is now verified

The fish care less than we do!

#21 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,748 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 12:00 PM

Yes, it's a serial number... So, the rod is the original first generation graphite, 
Still smiling!

Maybe ... a collector's item worth more now than it was new ???

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#22 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 02:27 PM

Here is a copy of the original product brochure emailed from T&T.

Attached File  Thomas and Thomas First Generation Graphite Brochure.pdf   334.41KB   9 downloads

Also per T&T.. The brochure states these rods were wrapped "silver gray edged in black, to complement the charcoal color of the rod blank."  My rod is wrapped burgundy edged in black... T&T says this is to be expected, that T&T often accommodated customers (and still does) with custom colors. So this would be a custom burgundy color wrap.

To clean and polish the blank and the wood reel seat, T&T suggests cleaning with a q-tip (water, possibly also with alcohol if water won't do it, but they say be careful not to overdo it). For polishing, they use McGuire's swirl remover and then Carnauba wax (not near the wraps). Unless the cork is slippery (it's not), they suggest leaving it alone.  You can clean it with soap and water, but often that results in a more dingy looking surface.  (I'm fine with leaving cork grips alone, and always have.)

@Mikechell, Yes I am going to try to look into the value of it, but mostly just to make sure I'm not being a complete idiot by fishing it to death -- mine or its, whichever comes first. Normally I'm happy to be the idiot who fishes it instead of putting it on the wall, but there may be limits to my idiocy. Only time will tell.

Burgundy Wraps: The brochure states these rods were wrapped "silver gray edged in black, to complement the charcoal color of the rod blank."  My rod is wrapped burgundy edged in black... T&T says this is to be expected, that T&T often accommodated customers (and still does) with custom colors. So this would be a custom burgundy color wrap.

cb27

#23 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,879 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 02:31 PM

Bug if you want to clean the cork here's the best way to do it. I'm surprised T&T said soap because there's a much better way. Get a bowl of warm water and add about half a cup of baking soda to it. Take a toothbrush (preferably Mikechell's lol) and then scrub the cork with that water/baking soda. Then wipe dry and leave out of the tube overnight. That is how I clean all my own and customers grips and it will make the cork look almost brand new again.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#24 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 02:43 PM

Good to know. But I guess I do prefer to leave the cork alone. Just one fool's opinion but I think a cork handle looks and feels better worn in. I'm the same way with old furniture. I buy it and keep it and use it dented and dinged, cracked, etc.  Like me. Clean behind the ears, nice hair cut, but aged in ways that might make others uncomfortable...

cb27

#25 Capt Bob LeMay

Capt Bob LeMay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 03:28 PM

Take that rod and use it until you get tired... then do it again as soon as possible...  Great find.  I occasionally go to E-Bay just to check various brands of rods or reels that I have myself to see what they're going for these days... Mostly though, I'd much rather be using them on the water...

#26 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,748 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 04:31 PM

ohmy.png HEY!

Just because I used your toothbrush (when I was there) to clean the cat box, Steve, is no reason to offer mine up for this !!!tongue.png

laugh.png

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#27 samsonboi

samsonboi

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 10:45 AM

Wow, great find!

#28 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:37 AM

Update...

Cleaned it, and today took it out to New Orleans City Park for bass...

Gonna take some getting used to. It's graphite, but it's slow. Similar timing to bamboo, but not as strong a bend in the middle as bamboo. The ferrules are not as tight as I'd like, not sure why that would be (they're graphite). The top half of the rod flew off after 1 hour... Needed a pliers to twist off the reel seat ring after I was finished, could see it's how the last owner did it, too, the ribbing is marked up where the pliers would go.

Also my first effort fly fishing in still water. That, too, will take a good bit of getting used to. For other reasons...
cb27

#29 Capt Bob LeMay

Capt Bob LeMay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 04:56 AM

To tighten up that slightly loose ferrule simply rub the male end with a bit of beeswax (any shop that sells sewing supplies should have it..) then work into the ferrule - before you re-assemble the rod take a bit of cloth and remove any excess.  Once you've added the beeswax, when you assemble the rod... push into place out of alignment then twist it to align properly.  That "bayonet" way of assembling a two piece rod and the small amount of beeswax should solve your problem.

Most of the early graphite blanks I worked with years ago were similarly slow action designs.  It was a few years after graphite (now called carbon fiber - so they can charge more....) first came on the scene that manufacturers began to be design rods to take advantage of graphite's  lightweight and stiffness properties.

I've repaired more than a few older rods with chewed up reelseats.  Any competent rodcrafter should be able to remove and replace that old reelseat - if it's not holding properly.  If it is still working, though, I'd just use it as is...

#30 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 06:58 AM

Thanks Cap'n
cb27