Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Inexpensive fly lines

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 whatfly

whatfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 05:57 PM

This is where I differ from some of the guys here about where to spend money in fly fishing. Some guys here buy the cheapest line they can find. And if works for them then thats good, but for me cheap lines just do not work very well where I fish and what I fish for. And I've always felt the rod and line are the two most important things in "on water" gear because a bad one of either is gonna make for a long day of fishing. [snip]

Steeldrifter raises some good points but the single biggest commonality among the usual bargain basement crowd here is that they fish a very narrow set of conditions and waters, so their needs are pretty limited and simple.  For those of us that fish a wider variety of species, conditions, and localities, a cheap WF off of ebay is often not a reasonable answer.

#17 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,734 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 06:35 PM

Steeldrifter raises some good points but the single biggest commonality among the usual bargain basement crowd here is that they fish a very narrow set of conditions and waters, so their needs are pretty limited and simple.  For those of us that fish a wider variety of species, conditions, and localities, a cheap WF off of ebay is often not a reasonable answer.

I am not arguing against having multiple lines, etc.sleep.png   I'm not even going to argue against the need for higher priced lines in different waters.huh.png

I will only say that the need for different lines (for cold water - hot water - stream/river vs. lake/still water - etc. etc. ad nauseam) might be a bit exaggerated. rolleyes.gif

Considering that I've been fishing in most of the different locations work has taken me for the last 20 years ... I think I've covered "... a wider variety of species, conditions, and localities ..."dry.png

I do agree with, " ... their needs are pretty limited and simple."  But I don't agree that this is based on, " ... a very narrow set of conditions and waters ..."  

I think flytire used to have it in his signature, "Fly fishermen have a way of making things complicated.tongue.png

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#18 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,864 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 06:54 PM

I don't think it is making it too complicated Mike. Honestly I think it's just the fact that you don't really do much trout fishing correct? Because when it comes to trout they are picky little bastards. Fishing for bass & panfish (don't get me wrong I enjoy it a ton) but it is a totally different ballgame than trout. You can have a line that is not the most supple line and it honestly won't make a difference at all for them. They actually are attracted to drag which is one thing a bit stiff line causes. Especially in colder water.

Trout on the other hand, especially in cold no kill moving river type waters like here in Michigan. They have seen it all and even the slightest hint of drag and they will not even think about taking a fly.

So with that said I still firmly stand by the fact that a low quality line, especially in cold trout water, will in fact cause issues for you that a good quality line wont.

Let me put it in terms that will make it easy biggrin.png You're a marine motor tech so here. If you just want to go out and catch some fish on a local pond, a 1960 35hp pull start evenrude will get ya out there and do the job for what you are doing right? Now lets say you want to enter a bass tourny on a huge lake and you'll be moving all around covering many miles of water and constantly starting and moving. Now a new electric start 115hp will be a much better job right?

So it's not that you "can"t fish with a cheap line for trout, it's just that spending an extra $30-$40 will get you a product that will eliminate a bunch of issues the lower cost product has and make your day much more enjoyable.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#19 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 09:02 PM

"Standard trick if time is unimportant, is to wait until the end of the year clearances."

Silly question:  When do the "end of the year clearances" typically start?   Do they start at the end of the summer?
After Labor Day?  Just curious.   Always fun to find a sale--sort of like "fishing".   Usually I arrive a week or two late for the sale.. ha.
They basically emptied my local Sears out under my nose without me noticing--and now it's sad to see the store gone. I was hoping to catch some craftsman tools on their way out the door...  : )

Sierra trading post has stuff year round as does backcountry.

My favorite "sink tip" is actually a SA hover suspending line with a versa leader, it has less of the above mentioned hinge, also the suspending lines are very versatileand fish large floating flys and Dahlberg divers very well.

#20 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,734 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 09:38 PM

No argument from me, Steve.  I truly do understand.  Just playing the "devil's advocate."

Barbed hooks rule!

#21 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,908 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 06:18 AM

Oh some lines kink up and coil, even tangle in cold weather with cold water, been there done that. It's not exaggeration at all and can be very frustrating. some folks don't regularly fish certain demanding conditions and get by short term when they do fish them. But if you need to regularly put out 50,70,100 ft of line in cold water or in the spring after ice out and the water and air are both cold you would come to appreciate a line suited to that. Also not all lines perform the same on all rods. It's nice when a line just works for you instead of you having extra work or fight the line to use it day in and day out.

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#22 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,734 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 06:40 AM

Again, I am not saying there's no need for better lines in cold weather ... but this was one of my coldest experiences (Illinois), and the line was never the problem.

https://www.youtube....DGwDzg&index=65

Barbed hooks rule!

#23 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,864 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 11:45 AM

That's actually a good example what we were talking about though Mike is that vid. In that vid you're fishing a really slow moving and pretty narrow stretch of water. T be honest really almost any line would work in that situation because that's not a very demanding stretch from the looks of it right there. When you're fishing a wide river that is moving at a good clip with various cross currents that you need to throw multiple mends across, that's when you will have issues. Plus, and again I know you said you understand what we are saying, but honestly it's gonna be hard to know exactly how different it is if you don't have both lines in use to compare and do that sort of fishing year around.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#24 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,734 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 11:55 AM

Agreed.  Plus, I didn't catch anything.dry.png  Which made the cold day "on the water" MUCH less enjoyable. 

SO ... maybe the line WAS wrong for the situation.

Barbed hooks rule!

#25 Bill_729

Bill_729

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 02:39 PM

The thread has been revealing overall. It seems that it's the "extenuating" circumstances which impose the need to dig deep when buying fly line.  That is helpful to know.  By the way, an Orvis salesman pointed out to me that at least one of their new lines is rough textured (he probably had another name for it), so there is less resistance when shooting line--so there's a new "feature" for you.

><===)'>      --8888o-------------------------------------------------------------------

#26 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,864 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 04:08 PM

The thread has been revealing overall. It seems that it's the "extenuating" circumstances which impose the need to dig deep when buying fly line.  That is helpful to know.  By the way, an Orvis salesman pointed out to me that at least one of their new lines is rough textured (he probably had another name for it), so there is less resistance when shooting line--so there's a new "feature" for you.

Sounds like a version of the one that went by the shark name, the hell was it now, sharkwave or sharktooth or something like that. Personally I avoid any textured lines for a few reason. One, they "sing" through the rod guides. They make an irritating vibration sound as they slide through the guides which a lot of guys (me included) hate. Plus they get dirtier than normal line rather fast because the texture grabs dirt and grime. And lastly, I've actually done some guide replacements on rods because of textured lines. They wear the guides and tip top out faster than a normal line.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#27 xvigauge

xvigauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 05:25 PM

Hey Mike, are you in the path of the on coming hurricane? Please be careful my friend.

Joe

#28 dadofmolly

dadofmolly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 07:39 PM

Maybe I am just lucky (or too dumb to know any better), but I've used the cheaper lines for years without the problems being mentioned.  I don't normally fish open water in the dead of winter with snow piled up but have fished right after ice out on CO rivers and streams up until the snow flies.  Have had my guides ice up on occasion but don't remember the line coiling on me.  I don't normally find the need for 90 - 100 ft casts and am able to control my line with mends and without drag most of the time, even in fast water.  I never fish lakes out of a boat nor do I float a river so can't really comment on that aspect, but I don't think a boat would make a difference since it is the line we are commenting about.  I've only fly fished for trout so don't really know about other species, but again it's the line not the species.  I have started to chase small mouths as time permits this summer and have not experienced the problems mentioned, cold water or hot water.  My 2 cents

Sometimes I need expert advice which is why I talk to myself.

#29 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,734 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 07:47 PM

Hey Mike, are you in the path of the on coming hurricane? Please be careful my friend.

Joe

We live about 20 miles inland of Daytona Beach.  As of this afternoon, Dorian is supposed to skirt the coastline heading north.  If it does, our effect will be a lot of rain and not much else.

We're preparing, just to be safe, though.

Thank you for asking.

Barbed hooks rule!

#30 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 08:53 PM

I'm cheap but prefer to identify as thrifty. I fish cheap fly lines just not 10 dollar eBay cheap. I have no brand loyalties and I've never compared line to other line. I seem to be able to cast any line I've ever bought just fine by my unwashed standards. Guess I'm just lucky. I buy and I fish it with no knowledge or concern as to grains, length of tapers and so on and so on and so on. Once I buy a line i fish it until I feel it's old and needs replacing which ain't often. I've never put a line on a reel and said, this sucks I'm going to replace it. Life is so much cheaper, enjoyable and easier with this mentality and by staying inside in front of a warm fire when it's line coiling butt cold out.

I only buy line that is on sale regardless of brand. I like to be between 35 and 50 bucks. I have cortland, cabelas, Rio, scientific angler and a few others and none have caused me a single problem. As I always say, don't buy the hype. Just go buy a middle of the road sink tip on sale and fish it. Whatever you buy will work great as long as you don't read fly line shootout articles or stand to close to the water cooler in the fly shop.