Fly Tying

Permanent Markers  

91 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I just use sharpies, i like them never had colors run on me before, but looking for some other types of markers to use.

So just vote.

Give your two cents.

And tell why you like the one over another.

I made it multiple choice because i know people dont use only one type usually.

I bought a selection of pantones and they really last a long time. No problem with them drying out in the pen.

HOWEVER, they really fade when being used. The water sure causes the color to go.

I will check into Sharpies, maybe they have the color selection I need.

I should have added I coat the colored area with head cement or Dave's Flexament. Guess I will have to try Sally Hansen's.

I use Prismacolour because they are widely available (in N America) and there is a vast selection of colours. Since most "permanent" markers "fade" after being dunked in water, it is always best to protect coloured surfaces with head cement, Sally Hansens, epoxy, or whatever. But be careful to make the first overcoat thin and quick- the colour will run into some solvents. (Someday, when I have nothing better to do, I will test the ability of various solvents/varnishes to dissolve marker colours.)

I picked pantone and other, i really like pantones as the colour range is great, however i only have a few left and they're very difficult to get in japan so i'm gradually swinging to copic markers, they're also pretty good especially for marking pvc and other surfaces that dont take ink well. they also have a blending pen for mixing colours should you want to. My only gripe is that the copics ahve only 2 tips, they dont have the really fine poins that the pantones have.

martyn

I use Sharpies (when I can find the color I want), Bics (cheaper than Sharpies, and a wide selection of colors available in the multipacks) and Prismacolors. Be careful if you use CA glue around Sharpies and Bics. Bics in particular turn really odd colors when exposed to CA glue. Sharpies I have not had quite as much trouble with, and Prismacolors (at least the shades I have) don't react with the glue.

I use Sharpies and Prismacolors. Prismacolors are fairly expensive but come ine some great colors. I use Cool Grey, Dark Olive and Dark Brown to mark tails on shrimp patterns. Otherwise I just use Sharpies, usually in black, yellow or green.

I use the Sharpie currently but wanted to experiment with the Prismacolors. Anyone know of a good source (cost) to

locate the some. B)

I use the Sharpie currently but wanted to experiment with the Prismacolors. Anyone know of a good source (cost) to

locate the some. B)

Joanne's and Michael's both carry them. Michael's occasionally has them on sale (4 for $10 or so).

I use sharpies and they have worked fine. i just use 4 colors(black, red, blue, green) and that works well for me. if i ever get more markers i will probally get prismas because they have a nice color spectrum. but they are a bit expensive.

locate the some. B)

Joanne's and Michael's both carry them. Michael's occasionally has them on sale (4 for $10 or so).

Thank you agn54!

Sharpie & Chartpak. Sharpies are easy to get and what I use the most, and I bought some olive Chartpaks several years ago. Chartpak has a real good selection of colors that you won't find in the Sharpies.