Fly Tying
Powershooter

Loon fly tying powders

So I recently purchased the loon fly tying powders in flash colors , red , green and blue pearl colors .

post-60201-0-34482300-1514076387_thumb.jpg

It is intended to be mixed in clear coat or uv . I chose to experiment with Sally Hansen clear nail polish since it is affordable and I could trash it if needed.

I put the blue and green powders on a piece of paper to mix then before putting them in the bottle.

post-60201-0-09321700-1514076624_thumb.jpg

post-60201-0-41272200-1514076673_thumb.jpg

After mixing , I used a paper strip to put the powder in the bottle of clear coat . I mixed by shaking which was fairly easy .

post-60201-0-44379900-1514076853_thumb.jpg

After mixing I could see I used to much . Use it sparingly, add if needed . I would say for a bottle of nail polish , a small scoop of powder the size of a Q-tip head is more than enough. Below are some before and after pics , keep in mind I used to much . It actually changed the color of the polish .

post-60201-0-63445200-1514077147_thumb.jpg

post-60201-0-17938300-1514077159_thumb.jpg

post-60201-0-23249000-1514077175_thumb.jpg

post-60201-0-61940400-1514077218_thumb.jpg

post-60201-0-80863200-1514077231_thumb.jpg

post-60201-0-36201900-1514077250_thumb.jpg

I was looking to add shimmer to one of my uv bottles . Also to have the ability to tune the amount of shimmer to my personal preference.

so how is the powder with uv resin? that was your intention?

i guess a bottle of pearl nail polish from the dollar store followed by a coating of uv resin would have worked.

Actually have not gotten that far yet , holiday activities have taken over . I'll mix some after Christmas to compare uv to the nail polish . I have a bottle of that as well .

Interesting. I've colored epoxy using food coloring. Haven't tried it yet with the UV resin. I picked up a tie dye kit when I was looking for ways to dye my mop pieces. Each bottle has a pre-mixed powder in it, next time I pick one up I'll have to see how it mixes with UV resin. The kit has some "hot" colors in it. I wonder how a powdered RIT dye would work with UV resin. As far as sparkle or pearlescent finish goes for years I've used MOP transfer foil, or as it's known in Hobby Lobby "Art Deco Foil" to get it on my poppers and streamer/bait fish heads. It can be applied to any tacky surface. I've used it on epoxy, silicone, UV resin and on sticky back foam to make my own "Loco Foam" This is a pretty good example of the type of finish you can get with it.

post-309-0-42503800-1514136250_thumb.jpg

The black stripes were added after the initial coat of UV resin, and then covered with a lighter second coat.

I decided years ago that the fuss of playing alchemist was not worth it. I use glittery or colored nail polish under UV resin, and that is it.

PS, Those look great, PS!

Interesting. I've colored epoxy using food coloring. Haven't tried it yet with the UV resin. I picked up a tie dye kit when I was looking for ways to dye my mop pieces. Each bottle has a pre-mixed powder in it, next time I pick one up I'll have to see how it mixes with UV resin. The kit has some "hot" colors in it. I wonder how a powdered RIT dye would work with UV resin. As far as sparkle or pearlescent finish goes for years I've used MOP transfer foil, or as it's known in Hobby Lobby "Art Deco Foil" to get it on my poppers and streamer/bait fish heads. It can be applied to any tacky surface. I've used it on epoxy, silicone, UV resin and on sticky back foam to make my own "Loco Foam" This is a pretty good example of the type of finish you can get with it.

P1270010.JPG

The black stripes were added after the initial coat of UV resin, and then covered with a lighter second coat.

Nice , I'd like to know more about your technique.

I've used the sparkle polish as well , but simply wanted to try the powders . I did mix it very lightly in silvercreek flex uv and used it on the minnow pattern below . I am happy with the results and it's exactly what I wanted .

post-60201-0-03216800-1514258856_thumb.jpg

I will continue to experiment with different application processes .

$.02.....

Although the on sale sparkle fingernail polishes are handiest, I like to use Sally Hansens and do areas of color with the pepper shaker flakes/powder tamp down with damp finger then when satisfied coat lastly overall with the SH....The lil bags of fine texture not as good once the lil bags are opened easily spilt....

IMG_2164.jpg

165_0786.JPG

IMG_2165.png

IMG_2166.png

Also I think I posted somewhere where you can wrap tinsel or flash over thread heads and UV resin to get the sparkle going....

IMG_1943.jpg

That is a nice effect on those flies . I would like to try sprinkling the powder . However it's extremely fine , so maybe I can apply with a q-tip ?

That is a nice effect on those flies . I would like to try sprinkling the powder . However it's extremely fine , so maybe I can apply with a q-tip ?

Maybe try a small nail head to avoid cotton fuzzies, the static might be enough to move that powder, and pictures of results encouraged here!

I apply the Hansens on areas of the bug I want a color or whole side at a time then sprinkle on the powder over a sheet of paper then put leftover back in shaker using paper as funnel.....lotta times the waist is insignificant and just brush it off the table into waste basket. Youse guys might be over thinking this maybe? Notice on the sparkle Pops on the foambodiesI didn't put a final coat and you can see the flakes are rough. On the pencil poppers I generous coat of Hansens for a smooth finish... The glitter fingernail polish gives smooth finish and glitter one swipe, but the sparkle flake density is lacking. Seems tryin to premix powder is hassle....The pearl powder/flakes just add sparkle w/o changing the overall of any color....

Could do the same wit the UV stuff treat it like the Hansens and prolly just for heads and small areas