Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Lucian.Vasies

Trout Bugs

My "old" bugs developed based on GRHE:

26167679_1811909795545985_35508159610254

trout-bug.jpg

I always love these flies and GRHE is one of my favorite fly for starting season. Now synthetic materials became more and more popular. I saw a lot of guys tying simple bugs, just wrapping some dubbing and the fly is ready. Hare fur is a fantastic material and combined with certain synthetic colors can be extremely effective.

As it is the case often on this forum, I couldn’t, even if I tried, tie flies or take pics like you do.

They look wonderful.

I have to ask, what is the trick to the flies standing up? They don’t seem to be stuck or propped. Is there a clever trick or is it photo editing?

As it is the case often on this forum, I couldn’t, even if I tried, tie flies or take pics like you do.

They look wonderful.

I have to ask, what is the trick to the flies standing up? They don’t seem to be stuck or propped. Is there a clever trick or is it photo editing?

Very small Earth Magnet underneath so that it only attracts the portion of the hook

touching the paper. They have them at Micheals that are about 3/16" in diameter.

You can also see his lighting setup in the reflection of the bead.

Excellent work!

Kimo

Do you think there's just a single source of lighting there KIMO? Looks like the depth of field is about 2/3 the length of the hook length. Yet he's focused on the important part. really nice pictures and ties indeed.

BCT

I see at least 3, two of them heavily diffused.

Kimo

I really like those slight wisps of hot colors blended in at the collar area of the hares ear. On the curmudgeon thread they are currently on about tradition, but this kind of simple and balanced blend of natural and artificial materials, seen here & elsewhere on ftf is so fantastic & creative.

Very small Earth Magnet underneath so that it only attracts the portion of the hook

touching the paper. They have them at Micheals that are about 3/16" in diameter.

You can also see his lighting setup in the reflection of the bead.

Excellent work!

Kimo

Clever trick it is.

As far as the light, and only because I read his blog, I can see one light and I only guess that there are more because of the lack of shadows.

Hi guys,

I'm glad that you like my flies.

About photos, there is no secret, I use DYI soft box made of carton big box with lot of white paper glued inside. I used always reflected light and no direct light. On my blog there are 2 articles about how I take my photos. I use from one up to 3 sources of light to be sure that everything is well lighting ( not strong but uniform). In this case I used 3 sources - desk lamps.

I use magnet under a piece of paper to keep the fly like it is in photo. Not easy to set but with a little bit of patience anybody can do that

About bead - is not perfect rounded, there is no lens distortion. A lens distortion will be visible in entire photo not only in such small area.

I use Sony mirrorless combined with a macro lens. Also I use several DSLR Nikon cameras from time to time . But I find Sony very easy to work with .

If you need more info just let me know and I will help with pleasure :)

Thanks

oh, ok, I understand what you say. You are right.

bellow is a crop, as you can see in the bead there is white and some grey. White is from flash and the grey is the shadow of my macro lenses. The flash light is in angle,it is kind of tangent. The flash is rectangular so the white from the bead is the result of that.

Troutline-red-head-bug-nymph-detail.jpg

Those are exceptionally nice flies. As Chugbug said, the flash colors of the collar blend so very nicely and subtly with the hare's ear, it makes you do a double take. Probably the same reaction from a trout. Very nice.