Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

TIp of The Day for Aug 5, 2003

You can dye grizzly feathers in your kitchen by using your microwave. Here's how you do it. Placing the natural feather between two feathers that have been previosuly dyed the desired color. For example, place the natural feather between tow red feathers. Next, place the feathers on a microwave safe plate, add a few drops of water and micorwave for three minutes. Seperate the feathers and you should have an evenly dyed feather. Experiment with it, it works.

Good tip, I've done this when needed, but that time in the microwave is something you have to watch, as it depends on the type of micrwave. Three minutes in my microwave will fry a feather to a crisp. I'm speaking from experience!

I start with 30 seconds, and go in 30 second intervals until I get the job done, but as I said it depends on the microwave.

Be careful also about doing this with anything that has a piece of hide attached, especially if there is any fat left on the hide, as it may cook it instead. Again, experience! blink.gif

great advice Jim...anbd you are right cooking times will vary as we all know from trying that damn popcorn....does that stuff ever turn out right? lol

Sign in to follow this