Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Piker20

Cold weather hats

OK. You guys over in the states/Canada.

Have you used the real fur/wool trapper or aviator hats?

Do they dry as well as the synthetic versions? Scottish weather tends to be wet and cold so my next hat needs to be good in the wet and not take a week to dry.

I like the look of the real leather and wool ones but think synthetic will suit wet better.

I have a raddit's fur trapper hat. It drys really well. Syntetic is very comfortable, and get wet easily.

I know not of this cold weather of which you speak. But I do have a fleece baseball type cap, and a few knit ski caps from days gone by.

I just use a fleece beanie and all my jackets have hoods. I have little hair, by choice not genetics, so hoods are important. If the fleece cap and hood ain't enough its time for me to stay inside and complain about how cold it is outside. When I did venture out in miserably cold wet weather it was a wool cap simply because wool is super warm.

Real wool still keeps you warm even when it's wet, I can't think of any plastic/synthetic that does that. I thought Scotland was where they invented wool hats, and, well all things woolen?

On the other hand polypropylene never really gets wet, so it can be said to dry faster, it makes a good next to the skin layer

I've always worn either a wool fedora or a woolen watch cap. The Russian ushanka style caps don't fit me well, messes with my vision. But I don't stay out in weather colder than about -12F. So..

When it's really cold (ice fishing, snow removal) I have used a fur lined trapper hat that is water resistant but I usually pull a hood over if it's raining. Of course the fur and synthetic lining gets wet from sweat depending on activity level but it wicks the moisture away and keeps me warm always. Inside dries quickly.

I have a trapper style hat made from sheepskin. Way too warm for anything other than sitting still in very cold weather. Picture ice fishing without a hut.

I have a trapper style hat made from sheepskin. Way too warm for anything other than sitting still in very cold weather. Picture ice fishing without a hut.

Would be perfect for rock and beach fishing in the teeth of a northerly wind.

Dude, I ice fish w/o a hut all the time.

Would be perfect for rock and beach fishing in the teeth of a northerly wind.

Definitely warm and windproof enough for that.

Oklahoma doesn't get COLD but it does get below 0C regularly. Occasionally -10C to -15C if we get an arctic blast. I am still rocking this, mostly because it was issued and has sentimental value as it's been to combat zone with me. Plus it fits my big dome, I wear 7 5/8 hats.

https://www.armysurplusworld.com/us-polartec-fleece-watch-caps?92=84&aid=26319&gclid=Cj0KCQiAoIPvBRDgARIsAHsCw081xGsWzQkXz3OIlcmd-3un2X64znnjllgCYfYjeLr1PVC6zTD-5qEaAuMXEALw_wcB