Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Jconns

Dry Flies For Atlantic Salmon

So i've been on a bit of a break from tying flies, and wanted to start tying again, so I figured i'd start with a few dry flies. I know of the bombers and flies of that kind but wanted to try something different. I was just wondering what are some good dry fly patterns for atlantic salmon and sea run trout?

Thanks

Try some Humpies too , the Orange is good for salmon .........Frank

Tie up some Humpies with an Orange body, or maybe Yellow. I use Phentex yarn for the body on these Humpies. I also have some light Green Phentex yarn that I will use as well this summer for Salmon. I have had some success in the past with a Wulff pattern using a Highlander Green Seal fur dubbed body. The Humpy has the same type of "buggy" l;ook that the Wulff fly does, at least to my eye. I would tie the Wulffs on a Wilson Dry Fly hook. I think I will try the Salmon Humpy on a #6 or #8 Dry Fly Hook, like a Mustad

# 94840 hook. I think my green is too light, but you never know.

PS

Phentex used to hsve a great Green coloured yarn, about the same colour as Highlander Green. I think they discontinued this colour, since I can't seem to find it. Warren Duncan used to tie " Green Machines" with this stuff. I'd love to get some if anyone has some and can spare a little.

Carter's bug...

Yup, I know quite a few guys who'd choose the Carter's bug over the orange bomber. In smaller sizes, they're great for trout too. Fish em' dry on a dead drift, in the film with some action or just down an across, either way, you're likely to find success. When tying a CB, it's important to remember that you're trying to imitate a shrimp - that'll help with getting the shape of the fly. Yellow heads for females, orange for males, although I think you'd be safe to use either in most situations.