Fly Tying
vicrider

Monthly swap begin or end? Pics of past year

Now that Christmas is out of way and New Year's revelry about to come down on us let's talk about the monthly swap.

FIRST... I'd like to thank those who stuck with it this past year and those who filled as needed. Right now I have a couple of complete sets for a few months and set of nymphs from Border Collies to go out. There were a few times in there people missed a month and caught up and this old mind doesn't handle things as well as I used to so if anyone missed a whole month of any group let me know and I should be able to fill it out. I have this November flies ready to go and one set short but nice bunch to go out. If you look in the lower right of the 4th picture you'll see this months flies. So here is the synopsis of our month's of tying with the exception of the #18 and smaller flies which don't work in these kind of boxes.

DSC01314.JPG DSC01315.JPG DSC01316.JPG

DSC01317.JPG

NEXT... I'd like to take a minute to show off a fly Crackleback sent me for doing swap this past year. NO... You won't see one like this in a 12 fly exchange but for a display on my mantle it's beautiful. It will not be thrown in water fish urinate in.

DSC01312.JPG DSC01311.JPG DSC01313.JPG

ONE MORE SWAPPER NEEDED TO START YEAR

AND NOW... I would like to check on the interest in another monthly swap, January thru November. You can see from pics above you will end up with a beautiful collection of flies of all types from many very good tiers, many of us showing definite improvement thru the year. Yes, there is some cost involved with an average of about $2.60 or so to ship and a self addressed stamped envelope to send back. I have two people at this time who have expressed interest. Anyone in any part of last year will have priority but I already have a couple of cancellations for this year and room for some new swappers. DON'T worry a lot about being new. Do your best with each month and you will find yourself improving a lot by tieing a series of identical flies for a swap. If we have a dozen people interested we will go for it again this year. It's fun and I enjoy seeing and storing all these flies and fish the few I get a chance to.

I will post a monthly swap list for the flies we tie but let's just start the year with the fly we were going to finish with. Whatever fly you enjoy tying for whatever you enjoy fishing for. It's all good. For me it's probably going to be a soft hackle but with BB's promised swap coming I may change that to a parachute...or something.

Nick Szabo

PO Box 361

Cheyenne, OK 73628

01. add147........................received

02. Josephcsylvia..............received

03. Breambuster................received

04. Netabrookie.................received

05. Pica.............................received

06. Fishin' Bob...................received

07. djtrout...........................received

08. PJ2...............................received

09. Joseph Russell.............

10. Western Trout Hunter..received

11. sammothner.................received

12.EastTNoutdoorsman.....received

Whoops, slight screw up here. I'll get you guys listed in the right place. Let's hope we get that nice dozen again I'll edit this post later with flies for the month. No deadline which won't work but let's get the fly of the month in that month. I'll probably move a couple I like up a month so flies like the orange can be fished on Halloween. Otherwise...

January...Your choice of fly you like for your choice of fish you like. Remember there is great crossover and fish are fish so almost any of your favorites could be used anywhere, even in my bass/catfish/crappie/bream/sand bass/hybrid/striper/warmouth/carp waters.

January........Tie your favorite fly for your favorite fish

February......Tie a bead head nymph, your creation or a classic

March...........A dry fly...anything from Catskill to Western Stone...No hooks smaller than a #16 on this one

April...........,..A wet fly...anything from a Bergman to a soft hackle, just designed for intermediate depths

May..............A terrestrial...from foam hoppers to ants, locust, bees, beetles, or think out of the box.

June.............A FISHABLE design incorporating the Red/White/and Blue

July...............An emerger fly...the type for fishing in the subsurface film

August..........Biggest fly of the year...something for bass or big browns, streamers, deer hair or on top

September....Any fly incorporating some Orange in the design

October.........Your choice of fly type, dry, wet, nymph, but no hooks BIGGER than an 18

November......Your design using some natural fur in the fly. Roadkill is acceptable if washed and boraxed properly

December..........Get ready for a great Christmas swap again

Vic,

Thank you for hosting last year. I enjoyed looking at the pictures of flies you guys tied. I'd love to take part this year if you'll have me.

Thanks,

Sam

Sam, I can't put you in right now but I have to cut it off there for now. If others are interested please let me know and I'll keep you in line for group. It is tradition for those finishing last year's swap to decide if they want in this year and there are five out there now who I haven't heard from. I can see us moving to a baker's dozen but not much more than that unless enough agree.

Sam, I can't put you in right now but I have to cut it off there for now. If others are interested please let me know and I'll keep you in line for group. It is tradition for those finishing last year's swap to decide if they want in this year and there are five out there now who I haven't heard from. I can see us moving to a baker's dozen but not much more than that unless enough agree.

OK. If you could leave me as an alternate now, I'm not sure if I want to fully commit yet.