Fly Tying
jd1983

Mighty Mite Midge Swap

Well, it is getting to be that time of year here in east Tennessee. The nights are getting cooler. Some of the leaves are showing a hint of the colors yet to come. The stores are stocking up with Halloween and Christmas decorations and just about everything in available in pumpkin spiced. Fall is approaching and that means the season of the midge is right around the corner on our tailwaters. Many a 20"+ fish will be falling to a size 20 in the coming months.

You can choose any midge pattern you'd like with one stipulation, it must be tied on a size 20 or smaller hook. It can be as simple as a zebra midge or as complicated as some of the things planettrout and Kimo post on the monthly threads.

General swap rules apply. You must toe tag, send in a crush proof box, and include a pre-paid return envelope or money for return shipping. Taking the first 12 tiers to reply.

Due date will be 31 October 2016.

SM - jd1983 - deep blue poison tung

1. Idaho RC - received

2. vicrider - black & cree dry - received

3. carpflyguy - black midge emerger - received

4. jmckaughan - bead head root beer midge - received

5. Wetsock - received

6. Sammothner - minute midge - received

7. Netabrookie - received

8. jjs89yj - received

9. Mandog - received

10. Atxdiscgolfer - received

11. DavidHE - received

I'll get in but I'm not sure of what you mean by "no repeats of same color and pattern". I'm sure you don't expect 12 different patterns from each of us so I'm assuming if some picks a Griffith's Gnat you don't want someone else to? Even if people were to do the same fly as their neighbor they'll both be good for fishing and seldom can two people come up with exactly the same look on even the identical patterns.

But anyway, I'm in with no plans for what to tie yet.

Sorry for the confusion. I mean if someone picks a size 20 midge in black with silver wire then someone can do a size 20 midge in purple with silver wire. It's technically the same pattern but different colors. I'd just hate to see everyone tie the same thing even if they'd be good for fishing.

Any nymph or dry is OK as long as it is 20 or smaller?

Count me in. I am not sure what pattern yet.

As long as it is a midge of some sort, yes.

Okay, I'm started. Black midges, dry, hackle tail, dry fly superfine black dubbing, cree hackle, size 24 standard hook.

Sorry for the confusion. I mean if someone picks a size 20 midge in black with silver wire then someone can do a size 20 midge in purple with silver wire. It's technically the same pattern but different colors. I'd just hate to see everyone tie the same thing even if they'd be good for

Ah, so then we should all say what we're tying first. I'll tie a size 26 midge-emerger in black with a white tuft

jd9183, you are in jest of course??? Okay carpflyguy, ya' gotta one up me. I'll have to see how man 28 hooks I have left.

Hahaha! I wish I could do smaller too, but I've exhausted my supply of 30s and 32s. I wish I could do hackles on flies these smmall, but never can.

Hmm, maybe I should increase the size to 18 or smaller? Kind of surprised we only have 4 tiers so far.

I would like in on this one. Always being told by guilds I run into that they are taking the small ones. It's time to add them to my box and see if I do any better. Figure this would be a good place to start. For anyone thinking these are too hard here is my 1st size 24. It was easy for a guy that likes 18s with bad eyes. Hope we can get a full swap. Any thoughts on my 1st one don't worry I have tough skin..

post-57405-0-74476900-1474328639_thumb.jpeg