Fly Tying
Mperry54

Hello and thank you for letting me take part in the forums here. Recently I have become semi disabled. I get around but I cant stand or sit for great lengths. Basically I am limited in what I can do. I have never tied flies. I was out on the local lake and catching some bluegill and crappie. A man came up near me and we struck up a conversation. He asked what I was using and I told him a small jig. He gave me some flies that he tied. Basically just small hair jugs but they are crappie and bluegill killers. I thought about starting to tie some myself. What am I getting myself into? 🤣

I call it diving down the rabbit hole! You can produce some very fine flies for very little money - save some cash and get the satisfaction of catching fish on something you created! Beware though, if you have some "collector" in your DNA - this can turn into a major sickness! I started out at age 8 - tying flies to save money (that was more than 55 years ago). Well, having this sickness for so long - I now have a room filled with hooks, feathers, fur, and synthetics! Save money! If I add up the cost of materials and tools - then divide by how many flies I have tied, it probably comes out to more than $300.00 per fly!

Welcome to the site, Mperry.

My journey into fly tying was through fly fishing. I've fished with fly fishing equipment for more about 5 decades. I only tie for my fishing. biggrin.png

If you just want to tie the flies you need to fish with, it can be an inexpensive hobby. An initial layout of a less than $200.00 can get you all the tools you need and a generous supply of materials. wink.png

If, like many, you find the hobby of tying more fun than actually fishing with them, then you can end up with a whole room full of tools and materials. You can end up with a house full of fly tying and fishing stuff ... with no family, no car out, etc. dry.png

Of course, there's a wide range in between those two extremes. laugh.png

Your not getting into much more then going to a store and picking through their fly boxes. Some people go nuts with materials and exotic patterns while some people tie what they need with little desire to evolve to something greater. I'm in the latter camp. I'm not into clutter or spending money for the sake of spending money.

I started tying fresh and salt water jigs in the 70's to save money. By my calculations I've saved a boat load of money and with every fly I lose it drives my start up costs even lower. I Still have many, if not all, the basic tools I started with. I have a great selection of basic materials to tie basic flies. I may tie flies twice a month or maybe not at all if I don't need to. That's all I desire out of fly tying.

What hole you go down can only be answered in time. Either way enjoy and welcome to the site.

On youtube you can find step by step instructional videos on how to tie almost any fly and you should get a good "feel" for what tying is about. From there you can make an informed judgment if it's for you before you invest in tools and materials. Keep in mind the tiers on youtube are generally seasoned pros and they make it look easy. If your like most of us the more time you can spend at your vice the better your flies will turn out. From there your local fly shop can help you with good patterns to start with based on degree of difficulty and which species your targeting.

Good luck and welcome-

Thanks for the replies. What are the basics? Fly tying vice? Some other tools? Ill probably be doing hair jigs. What is the correct material?

Thanks

Michael

There are several you tube videos on hair jigs. Most give tips on securing the hair. Bucktail doesn't compress like other materials and can be slick. There are endless options for synthetic hair and flash for jigs. Start there and you will have a better idea on what materials, thread, tools you will need.

A vise.

vise.jpg

One or two bobbins.

81-2.jpg?1399752812

A good pair of scissors.

75P0F7FC.jpg

A whip finisher.

31IaIXgdz6L._AC_SY400_.jpg

A good light source.

This will get you started. Then it's off to the races for all the other stuff you CAN buy.

Asking what fly tying vise you should buy is a question easier asked then answered. There are many vises out there at many different price points and they will all hold a hook. Perhaps you could let's us know the budget you want to stick to. The vise is the main item. Every other tool needed will cost you less then 25 bucks combined. Back in the day finding good scissors was hard and expensive. Nowadays sharp scissors are a dime a dozen. A servicible vice realistically starts around 50 bucks and can go up to 3500 bucks or more. I will always recommend a Thompson model A. It's what a lot of people started on and will give you decades of use with absolutely no good reason to ever get another vise unless you want to get a second vise like most eventually do. I think a Thompson model A goes for around 70 bucks nowadays with knock offs going for 15 to 30 bucks.

I bought my first fly rod and a fly tying kit on the same trip to the tackle store. The popular advise to "avoid the kits" is really good advise. You will come out way ahead if you identify some flies/jigs you would like to make, and buy what you need to make those. Poopdeck's post just above gives really good advise regarding a vise. Have fun!

Bill_729

Get a ceramic bobbin. Scissors with a serrated edge. Pliers with cutting blade to crush barbs and cut wire, make a bodkin with a long sewing meedle in a piece of wood or buy a cheap one. Learn to whip finish by hand, or get the above whip finisher. Either has a learning curve.

You can use regular fishing hooks. However, I tend to use fly hooks, usually Mustad. I do like Firehole, lightening strike, Diachi. Tiemco are great but pricey. Some use sewing thread, but I prefer Danville or Uni thread. Size 6/0 is a good compromise for all but very big or very small flies.

You will need some flash. Pearl Krystal flash is the most versatile color IMHO. Copper Wire is nice for segmenting Nymphs. If you are going to learn to dub, you just need some basics. I personally like natural dubbing, such as rabbit, beaver or hare's ear. Dubbing wax helps. Peacock herl is fragile but magical. Squirrel tail is slippery. Calf tail is useful for small flies. Embroidery thread is great for Bream fly bodies. And white rubber legs.

Popper kits and sponge spider kits are a food way to start for top water, or foam sheets.

Clear nail polish for sealing thread wraps.

You don't need every color in the rainbow

You need a vice that will hold the hook firmly. For the size hooks you will use.

Just realized this is an old post. You probably have gotten started, already.