Fly Tying
bigsky2

Rod Recommendations

I am looking at buying a new 6 wt. I will be doing some carp fishing with it so I want something with some backbone. What are your favorites for under $300?

I am looking at buying a new 6 wt. I will be doing some carp fishing with it so I want something with some backbone. What are your favorites for under $300?

Talk to forum member Steeldrifter, he runs Midwest Custom Fly Rods, and have him build you one made for the job..

If you are going after carp and need some backbone, I'd suggest a saltwater rod. Redington Predator or the TFO Mangrove are both around the price point you want.

I have one rod Steve, aka steel drifter built for me its beautiful works great I highly recommend him as well.

Not sure I'd start a rod building adventure with my first rod being a carp rod . I guess everyone's results vary but my first builds were not exactly stellar. I'm well pleased now some 20+ year later though, and doubt I will ever buy another commercially made rod. And yes it is a very satisfying hobby added to fly tying, I might even like it better than fly tying lol !

I built one of mine took a bit of time is pretty fugly but it fishes great if you don't really care how it looks by all means build one however if you want a really nice looking rod steeldrifters prices are more than fair and his work is pretty flawless, looks perfect to me but he might notice something that's 1000th of an inch off.

I'm a DYI kind of guy, but I'm not going to build my own rods.

1) I don't replace rods often enough to make it worth it, in my opinion.

2) Although it doesn't take a lot of high dollar equipment, it does take up a bit more space than fly tying.

3) I'd rather be fishing.

4) There are just too many good quality, appropriate action rods at acceptable prices, unlike flies.

5) When I need a rod, it's because I broke one. Order a blank and wait, order the parts and wait, wait for setting/curing/drying times and then finishing will take much too long. And the first rod, will obviously take even longer as the learning curve applies.

I'm not arguing against people building their own rods ... just explaining why it wouldn't be an option in my world.