Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dogfacedoc

Best glue for foam

I want to make foam popper bodies, specifically bumblebee patterns. I had bad luck with superglue. Is there a better choice?

I use the Superglue brand "Fix-All" adhesive from Dollar Tree.

4948c15c-8d4c-4c37-8eac-5af34efc9eef_1.5

Works well on:

DSCF0004.jpg
I've made some bee poppers, with yellow and black foam, but I don't have pictures.

Thicker glue is easier to control than thin glue. I use Lock tie gel. I like zap a gap but it is not as easily found. Lock tie is available everywhere, almost.

Just as an FYI:

Don't forget to "clamp". Even though it's only foam, you can't just put layers on top of each other. After you've glued and layered them, put some weight on the stack to clamp them together. Since I use the thicker gel, I assume the center of the stack is not fully drying out with the weight on. So, several minutes with the weight, to dry the edges ... then more time with the weight removed.

I glue my foam the day before I plan on tying the flies. Gives the glues a full night to dry.

I use rubber cement and have never had a problem.

I lay it on wax paper. Then coat the top of the sheet on the wax paper and the bottom of the

next sheet. Continue for how thick you want. Cover with a sheet of was paper after the last layer of foam goes on and stack some books on it

Let dry over night.

Rick

Thanks for the ideas. I have enough college textbooks that I can stack em high. I had tried that previously but had spots where the foam was separated. I dont think the fish really care but it drove me nuts! I mean they were hammering possibly the worst fly ever tied a couple trips ago

post-44101-0-31743300-1561253845_thumb.jpg