Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fish For Life

Best bomber colours

Currently tying up some bomber dry flys for an upcoming stealhead/ Atlantic salmon trip in a couple of weeks. But never tying these flys before i am not to sure as some good color combinations, or sizes. Ive got the tying style down by tying the basic natural deer hair body, white front and back calf hair thingys (what ever there called on these flys), and brown hackle. Also what are these flys suppose to represent? Obviously there not suppose to imitate anything exactly, but what do the fish think they are?

Thanks

If you haven't already, check out this article on FAOL: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/atlantic/bomberbugs/bomberbugs.php

As for what fish think it is, FOOD! :)

I suppose any of a large number of terrestrials, including cicada's, grass hoppers, crickets, wood beetles, caterpillars, grubs, etc. Clearly and attractor, not a specific imitation.

For atlantics, colors will much depend on where you are fishing. Try to get local knowledge on this...

where I fish for atlantics (Quebec), nature brown hackle, all white, blue with brown hackle, green with white or yellow hackle, orange with brown hackle, all black, , all of these with white calftail tail and wings. Theses are all popular.

For atlantics, colors will much depend on where you are fishing. Try to get local knowledge on this...

where I fish for atlantics (Quebec), nature brown hackle, all white, blue with brown hackle, green with white or yellow hackle, orange with brown hackle, all black, , all of these with white calftail tail and wings. Theses are all popular.

Ill be fishing the st marys river in sault ste marie, im guessing these will be pretty much the same fish you fish, both being in eastern canada?

Not quite as the fish I was referring to are sea run salmon, whereas the ste-mary's are landlocks. I have no Idea if that makes a difference as Ive never used bombers for landlocks. Once again, local knowledge would be best... If you don't have that luxury, the colors I referred to are classics for Atlantics.