Fly Tying

As long as I have been fly fishing and fly tying (over 50 years) I have never used any kind of dropper fly. In fact, I don't even know how to rig one. I have been reading lots of reports that say something like, "Use a nymph as a dropper off your dry fly." How is a dropper tied to your leader or tied off the dry fly?

Joe

I found some articles and videos on using and rigging droppers. I like to keep things simple and the dropper idea is just too complicated for me. If I used it, I could see the nymph causing the dry to sink and I could see my leader getting all tangled up. I think I will pass on the dropper and just fish one fly at a time. I Know many will disagree, but everyone can fish anyway they want as long as it is legal and you have fun with it. I would never tell anyone not to use a dropper, I just won't use them myself.

Joe

Easy way to try it is to tie a 18" -24" tippet to the hook bend of your attractor style high floating dry fly and tie a lightly weighted or non weighted nymph to the end of that 18-24" tippet. Use your dry fly. Another good way to try it is to tie an emerger dropper to a dry fly of the same type of fly. If you're like me, you'll get twice as many tangles, lose twice as many flies as you otherwise do, degrade your presentation quality in half, and spend three times as much time setting up a new rig as before; and f the fish aren't biting you still won't catch many, but if they are you still will, and probably still just on the one fly they want.

I have not done it either, but when I do, I am going to try a small baitfish pattern under a gurgler.

I am also concerned about the tangling.

I use a hopper/dropper or other two rig quite a bit. Usually just tie to the hook bend but sometimes from the eye of the hook. Just depends on how I want to present the dropper. It can make for some crazy tangles and knots but it works out ok when I finally figure out I have to pay more attention to my cast. I have lots of luck with it, usually picking up fish on the dropper or point fly.

It's not nearly as bad as you think it is. Give it a shot.

My $.02 ....why use a strike indicator with all the foam enhanced dries around like emergers, hoppers, etc. Why not put a hook in your strike indicator. No brainer..... tangles...l hate to hear grown man cry... you need to just stay on the porch.....Sheesh!

Stealth bomber with a fox squirrel nymph tied 10 to 12" off the hook bend works well for me.

This is something I keep trying to make myself do because I've been told by many a guide it's well worth the effort, but, when I'm there on the water and faced with a choice between "keep screwing around with rigging" or "start fishing", so far I've always chosen the latter. I probably need to work on that. :)