Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

First Shot of Dragonfly!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mtyburski

mtyburski

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:35 PM

This is actually a Damselfly, related to the dragonfly!

Entomology is an interesting science, because it involves the insects and terrestrials we use for this great sport! I have a Sony HDR-CX240 which takes great close-ups and may have gotten lucky with this shot. My experience with photography is in it's infancy! It was a sunny May afternoon, and the wind was blowing pretty hard. Glad to have gotten this photo!

Attached Files

#2 utyer

utyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:29 PM

Nice photo, they usually fly off before you can get a close up like that.

"We have met the ememy, and he is us." Pogo by Walt Kelly

#3 add147

add147

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:37 PM

I saw a documentary on Dragon Flies and those suckers are wicked insects. 

#4 Fish For Life

Fish For Life

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:57 PM

Im pretty sure that is a damselfly not a dragonfly. Not trying to be a prick or anything, just wanted to let you know. Nice picture by the way!!!

#5 Fisherboy0301

Fisherboy0301

17 going on 40

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:04 AM

Im pretty sure that is a damselfly not a dragonfly. Not trying to be a prick or anything, just wanted to let you know. Nice picture by the way!!!

I was thinking the same, damsels rest wings back, dragons rest wings out to the side. Still a very nice picture regardless!
<p>"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, but Today is a gift, thats why they call it the present." - Anonymous"

Snakes are first cowards, then bluffers, and last of all warriors." - Clifford Pope

"To him, all good things -trout as well as eternal salvation- come by grace, and grace comes by art, and art does not come easy." - Norman Maclean  "A River Runs Through It"

Tenkara is only for little fish!                                                                     </p>

#6 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,582 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:28 PM

It's a pretty photo ... but I would have liked it better if you had the whole bug in there.  I know, you were "lucky" to get what you got, and it is nice and clear ... still ....

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#7 mtyburski

mtyburski

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:25 PM

It is a damselfly, not dragonfly!

#8 add147

add147

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:43 PM

Thank you...Did not know there was a difference...I Googled it and now I know...Learn something new everyday...lol

#9 add147

add147

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:45 PM

It's a pretty photo ... but I would have liked it better if you had the whole bug in there.  I know, you were "lucky" to get what you got, and it is nice and clear ... still ....

It has a pretty blue hue to it that's for sure...