Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Yough Minnows

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 eastern fly

eastern fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 07:01 AM

Does anyone know what kind of minnows are in the youghiogheny river?

Kevin

https://www.instagram.com/eastern.fly/

A Pitt fan, a Marshall fan, and a WVU fan are climbing a mountain and arguing about who loves their team most. The Marshall fan insists that he is most loyal and then yells,"This is for Marshall!" and jumps off the mountain. Not to be out done,The WVU fan next professes his love for his team. He screams,"This is for the Mountaineers!" and pushes the Pitt fan off the mountain.

Anyone can be a father. It takes a man to be a Dad! Kiss your kids today.

#2 skeet3t

skeet3t

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 08:08 AM

Are you referring to a specific species of fish as chubs, darters, etc. or what could be the young fry of any fish?  I would suggest contacting the local fish and game officers that cover that particular area or call the state office and ask the fisheries biologists.

John Torchick

So much water, so little time!
Enjoying the Creation, Praising the Creator!

#3 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,257 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 09:15 AM

Is it local to you Kevin or does it involve a long trip? If its local you can make a simple minnow trap to see what's there and release the fish safely after.

A 2lt fizzy drink bottle. Cut off the narrow neck end just where it widens into the main bottle.
Turn that round and push into the bottle so the narrow neck is inside the wide bottle. It should hold tight enough. Use a couple of staples if needed but don't glue in or fix permanently.
Punch plenty of 4mm holes in the fat end of the bottle to allow water through and place bread or sweetcorn or some other smelly bait in the bottle. Sink the bottle into the margins of a river and the minnows swim in but cant get out.

You release by pulling the cut off neck back out.
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#4 FlaFly

FlaFly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 10:01 AM

I always used corn meal with a few drops of anise oil in minnow traps.  The oil comes out of the opening and makes a film on the water. Minnows flock in!  Be aware that minnows are a specific kind of small fish.  Lots of other small fish might not be attracted to a trap, particularly the benthic (bottom dwellers) species like gobies, etc.

"Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it."

Agatha Christie

"No one wants advice -- only corroboration."

John Steinbeck

"I had six faithful serving men, they taught me all I knew.

Their names were what? and why? and when? and how? and where? and who?"
Rudyard Kipling

#5 eastern fly

eastern fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 10:35 AM

Yes this river is local. I have sent an email to the DNR. I was just looking for some info from other here that I know are around here. I did also post this to the PA forum.

Kevin

A Pitt fan, a Marshall fan, and a WVU fan are climbing a mountain and arguing about who loves their team most. The Marshall fan insists that he is most loyal and then yells,"This is for Marshall!" and jumps off the mountain. Not to be out done,The WVU fan next professes his love for his team. He screams,"This is for the Mountaineers!" and pushes the Pitt fan off the mountain.

#6 Rocco

Rocco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 05:55 PM

Try  

Gallery of Pennsylvania Fishes - Chapter 11, Carps and Minnows

Rocco

#7 eastern fly

eastern fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 07:24 AM

I have seen that info, thanks.

Kevin

#8 RodL

RodL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 06:19 PM

Kevin, I fish the yough lake and there are a ton of alewives(not sure if that spelling is correct) in the lake, it could be possible for them to be in the river as well. I fish the river around the confluence area and haven't noticed the minnows in that section of river

Rodney

#9 eastern fly

eastern fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 04:38 AM

Kevin, I fish the yough lake and there are a ton of alewives(not sure if that spelling is correct) in the lake, it could be possible for them to be in the river as well. I fish the river around the confluence area and haven't noticed the minnows in that section of river

Rodney

The main section I'm thinking about is the Confluence area. I want to take my streamers there. I do know there are Alewives and Mooneyes in the river. What I am wanting is a color scheme for the river. Some is olive some tan. A friend told me olive or white. Primary white.

Kevin 

#10 RodL

RodL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 06:11 PM

Most of the people I know that fish streamers in that area use white with a small amount of flash material.

Rodney

#11 eastern fly

eastern fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 05:32 AM

I tyed these to use there. 

Kevin

Attached File  20160228_182624_HDR.jpg   111.54KB   1 downloads