Fly Tying
mb82

Foam Bug problem

My dad dropped by the other day with those foam bug bodies and asked me to tie up a few for him. "Not a prob dad they are really simple." Boy was I wrong. How do you keep the foam from rotating on the hook as you are tying? I got tying the legs in fine but I am constantly adjusting the body because it is rotating. If these were my flys I would not care, but since I am doing this for someone else, I want them to be perfect.

Thanks

Jeff

Do you have a good thread base? I would try laying down a thread base then glueing the body on. When it dries tie in the tail materials.

Thanks I use a good thread base but I don't think I am waiting long enough for the glue to dry. I would like to have 20 of these bugs done by tomarrow. the problem with only having one vice.

Cut a small slit in the bottom of the foam . That will make a place for the hook to go and put a drop of super glue on it. Give it a try

Fcflyguy

Make a good thread base, try useing something called zap a gap or if your doing that many use 5 minute epoxy... do all the bodys first then go back and put the feathers on. That way they are all dry by the time you start tieing in feathers.

Its a lot quicker anytime your making multiple flies ( more than a dozen) at a time to tie them in stages. Like when I tied commerically if for instance I was making adams dry flies, I would tie all the wings and tails then go back and add the body and hackle to each fly.

well I finished them, even had a few left over for the tyer to keep. I ended up starting out with flat waxed thread and building a bigger base then changing over to 8/0 black to tye down the fly and help hold it on till the superglue cured. It worked well.