Fly Tying
mking5hd

Hackle for smaller wet flies - size 14 and smaller.

What's a good material (besides partridge) to use for size 14 and smaller wet flies?

Hen neck or starling will do well for you. There are also techniques to tie a larger feather proportionate to a smaller fly. I typically take a larger feather, cut out the very tip of it to make a V shape. Preen the feather to align the tips, and use loose wraps to distribute the fibers around the hook. This works best if you are wrapping immediately in front of a thorax or other type of bump.

What flytire said. Also, if you are looking for the "right" size of hackle feather, it's a good idea to buy a whole skin so that you have lots of options when it comes to sizes. If you only have a cape you are somewhat limited in sizes and you must defer to the "cheater technique" to make them work.

I like hen necks, especially the Whiting Cog de Leon hen necks. Also, if you can find Chinese or Indian hen necks they are fun to work with. Of course partridge and quail are normally my first choice on soft hackles.

Steve

As said a full skin gives lots more options. All the game birds will provide small hackles. Mallard, pheasant, quail, grouse are in my drawers.

Don't forget the inner and outer covert feathers on game bird and duck wings. Those small feathers make some great spiders. You may already have some for other uses.

Cheers,

C.

A starling skin will also give you lots of small soft hackle feathers.

If you have any friends that hunt upland birds, a snipe makes nice, small soft hackles. They are similar in color to partridge.

Colin,

I hope by "drawers" you are meaning items of household furniture, not underwear? I do hope so, or had I better go warn those who take part in the fly swaps.

Cheers,

C.

Grouse.

Ruffed, Blue, Franklin's (AKA Spruce), Sharptail and if you're lucky to find it Sage. Find someone in the west who hunts. Chick survival is very dependent on a dry spring but grouse can be very plentiful some years and are often the main course at dinner.

There's also various species of quail that have tiny feathers for soft hackled wets. Whole skins and loose feathers are available through most dealers or you can find them on ebay.