Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
novabass

Autumn Mottled Sedge pattern

I could use your opinions on this pattern. It is a Fall Caddis or Autumn Mottled Sedge. I saw one last year while fishing a lake. I've been thinking about the pattern I would use ever since. Do you guys think this works?

yuMMrG.jpg

0EG8d1.jpg

36Tr6C.jpg

Good idea! I have tie a similar pattern myself that is just little a bit different. I think you'll find that using the whole feather for the tentwing will prove too much. Shorten it up so that it is only about 1/8 - 3/16" longer than the body and remove the fibers on the bottom front third of the feather (or trim them at a severe angle). You're on the right path...

I'd fish it before trimming anything. Once again, we (humans) assume the fish will care if the wing isn't just right. I think that bug will get hit whether you trim the wing or not.

I like that picture from underneath ... if I were a fish, I'd certainly check it out.

I like it. That doesn't mean anything of course, but it has the triggering qualities of "bugginess" that might get it taken at any time of the year. If it matches something in the fall all the better but it goes into that category of something that just looks good to eat just the way it is. Got a hunch it's going to be a tippet spinner tho.

It is a very pretty fly pattern.

There is very large hatches of Northern Casemakers (or Autumn Sedge or October caddis like most flies this one has too many names) on both the rivers near me that feed into the Connecticut river. Last year I found about 50 on my screen door under the outdoor light. In both rivers they are already coming off so I have added a few imitations to my box as well. The problem with fishing adult imitations of this fly, I find at least, is that they don't hatch on the water surface they crawl out onto rocks so fishing it dead drift isn't super effective. You certainly could have some luck but I read last year and found it to be true that early in the time they are present that a pupa imitation is the most effective way to "match the hatch". I really like a scruffy orangeish soft hackle pattern for this, fished dead drift under a buoyant dry fly. I like to use an orange stimulator or the orange dry fly pictured below. My recipe is simple, a few wraps of lead wire a thick and buggy dubbed body of Waspi SLF Squirrel (Squirrel Belly Color) and a dark soft hackle (black or dark brown) about the same length as the body(mine are size 10 and 12). Last year I didn't have any soft hackles in this color and I used a birds nest with good success. I will add a picture of the soft hackle a little later.

The egg laying females deposit their eggs on the bottom of the stream so once the adults have been around for a little bit and I've seen them depositing eggs I will loose the nymph and fish the dry by letting it drift a few feet stripping it under and letting it swing like a wet fly. Once its saturated it will submerge on its own and I don't strip it under any longer, this seems to be when it was most effective for me last year.

But as I said before that is a very pretty fly and very nice work.

Edit-The first fly is the one I use to suspend the soft hackle (dry dropper style) and the second is the one I intend to use in a couple weeks when I start seeing them going to the water to lay eggs.

post-52247-0-13413100-1409498602_thumb.jpg

post-52247-0-46121200-1409498617_thumb.jpg

Novabass I like it. It would work just as is or do wing trimming too. Are the wing feathers coated? A light spray of Krylon makes trimming easier.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the replies. The wings are Brahma hen feathers. I did trim it and it doesn't look bad at all. I'll get some pics and post.

I like that picture from underneath ... if I were a fish, I'd certainly check it out.

upskirt perv

Could you make both wings out of one feather, folding it in half? I think any suggestions would be nitpicky tho as the fly looks great. The goddard caddis is one of my go to patterns and this has a very similar profile.

upskirt perv

Hey, you don't know that, for sure !!! Maybe I just like the ... color, yea, I like the color.

Looks nice and agree it's very "buggy". One alternative approach would be to use quill slips instead of a single feather. This isn't a caddis fly, but here is an example of using quill slips to imitate a "down wing" insect:

DSCF1170.jpg

Fletchfishes,

That is a really nice Yellow stonefly imitation. I have been seeing them around a lot lately. I have some very light feathers on a set of mallard wings maybe ill give that one a shot.

Nice enough pattern but I think there's a reason why one does not see this style of wing too often in patterns. In my waters, the October Caddis (thanks to whomever provided the translation) are most prominent in pocket waters, so a deer or elk hair wing would be a MUCH better choice vis a vis floatation. Durability is always an issue as well, hence why treated turkey is a common wing form for caddis patterns.

Fish it for a season and see how it works. Would be curious to hear the results.

I agree, it definitely needs to be fished thoroughly. I will put it to the test.

Here are a couple of images I took of a new one I tied. I used smaller feathers and trimmed them slightly.

qKC4Pr.jpg

0EG8d1.jpg