Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Wanted for Trade: Dry Fly Hackle

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 samsonboi

samsonboi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 01:28 PM

Hey, I'm 15 and on a limited budget; that being said, I've got some stuff to trade- I can tie some killer CDC caddis and I have a one-tip Montague rod in need of a total overhaul. It doesn't have Montague on it but that must have been scratched off; according to the CFRF the reel seat and winding style identify it as a Montague. I need grizzly and ginger, and I could sure use dark brown. Badger would also be nice. I'm looking for the higher-grade Whiting/Hoffman/Hebert-Miner stuff, but if anyone recommends any other good sources I'd be game to try them.

#2 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,858 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 03:56 PM

Sales on the "Trading Floor" require 40 previous posts.

Since this is a "trade" and not a "sell" ... it's approved.  Other moderators might come in and delete the thread soon.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#3 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 03:59 PM

Try Collins hackle farm, get the grab bag for 60$ you get 4 different colors, it's pretty decent not whiting but ties nice flys just the same. You'll have to mail him a check or money order it says no color choices on the grab bag but if you ask nicely he might just put in what you want.

#4 TIER

TIER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 04:37 PM

I have I whole wing of black hackle, If you want it. I'll post pictures of It when I get the chance.

Person: "The world's on fire!"

Me: "Well, the lake isn't, so what's the problem?"

A bad pun by James (TIER) Fox

#5 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,450 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 08:26 PM

might be best to find a source of income to fulfill your fly tying needs

Some of the worst car accidents happen on the showroom floor

#6 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,450 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 08:28 PM

I have I whole wing of black hackle, If you want it. I'll post pictures of It when I get the chance.

dry fly hackles do not come from wings unless the birds in alaska are different than the rest of the usa

Some of the worst car accidents happen on the showroom floor

#7 mvendon

mvendon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 09:54 AM

I would go this route if you're on any kind of limited budget. These more than likely will work for sizes 12 to maybe 18. I would contact Bill and ask if he could possibly adjust the color range if you don't see all the colors that suit your needs. The worst he can say is no. You could tie a ton of flies just with 50 saddle feathers and they're good quality if from Metz or Whiting farm lines. Dry fly hackle is pricey. Even if you went the indian neck route, you're going to spend at least $20.00 and more to get several colors and they just don't have the feather length to get all that many flies.  Here's the link

Regards,

Mark

#8 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,858 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 12:17 PM

samsonboi ... perhaps you can get those picture of the rod up here.  Then people might stop telling you where to buy what you're trying to trade for.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#9 TIER

TIER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 02:46 PM

The hackle Is actually really good for dry flies. Imma post a picture of it.

Attached File  IMG_20191031_1642314_rewind.jpg   209.63KB   0 downloads

#10 utyer

utyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 03:46 PM

Quit using your time, energy, and money trying to get "dry fly hackle."  Learn to tie the Comparaduns and other patterns that don't use any hackle, and you won't need expensive hackle for a very long time.  You can tie all kinds of floating patterns WITHOUT the use of hackle of any kind.  The Compardun patterns will represent any mayfly, an Elk hair caddis and an X Caddis pattern will represent any caddis fly.  Foam body hoppers, and stoneflies need ho hackle at all.

"We have met the ememy, and he is us." Pogo by Walt Kelly

#11 samsonboi

samsonboi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 09:19 PM

I tie my own patterns and like classic patterns too. I tie and fish deer and elk hair flies but I tie and fish a lot of hackled ones.

#12 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 08:51 AM

Check your pm ssboi (not sure if it solves your problem, but might)
cb27

"Fly tying is replete with unproven theories and contradictions and therein lies much of it's charm and fascination." George F. Grant, The Master Fly Weaver

#13 TIER

TIER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 12:40 PM

not intrested in the hackle? Okay, I have some lime green hackle and some grizzly hackle.

#14 samsonboi

samsonboi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 02:17 PM

Is that hackle black or brown? I already have a lot of super nice Whiting black hackle. I can't tell from the picture, but if it is dark brown I am interested. What brand is it? Same for the other hackle, and is it good for dries?

#15 TIER

TIER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 04:54 PM

It is black hackle. What are you tying for? Black dry flies work well for trout and grayling. I also have some black dubbing.