Fly Tying

January 2012: Flies from the Vise

Little late in getting January's topic up and running but I'm just now rejoining the land of the living.

You guys know the drill, post a reply with your most recent creations. Feel free to add any info about the fly you want(why your tying it, material list, etc). Also, comments and questions to the tiers that post flies are encouraged as well.

post-10925-0-25491200-1325793245_thumb.jpg

tied this one just because I wanted to tie something other then the normal its a grey ghost tied on a 10x size 1

Very cool bro . Who knew you were so versatile.

Fred

post-30681-0-60742200-1325887723_thumb.jpgpost-30681-0-91270400-1325887893_thumb.jpg

I'm with Kevin, I needed a break away from baitfish patterns. This is so far out of my comfort zone and a first attempt at something that is completely impractical for any of my waters...maybe any waters...lol. But it was fun!

Here's a little experiment that I was working on. First, playing with a mixed dubbing in a furled extended body. The other new one for me is red eyes on a damsel pattern. All of my others have had black eyes, but I saw this somewhere and we'll see what the fish think of it this spring. Thorax is just a braid wrapped around.

post-3964-0-79617000-1325920289_thumb.jpg

Deeky

I have been tying a few new patterns and some old patterns this month. Here are a few pics.

A McFlyFoam egg pattern.

imgp0427j.jpg

Another McFlyFoam egg pattern.

imgp0430v.jpg

A traditional olive midge pupa.

imgp0425u.jpg

A CDC caddis emerger.

imgp0426u.jpg

A tan free swimming caddis pupa.

imgp0420s.jpg

A sparkle pupa.

imgp0422n.jpg

I am tying these flys and many others in anticipation of the upcoming trout season in PEI Canada. I have 3 1/2 months to go but alot of flys to tie. The eggs are mainly for the steelhead that are becoming the main fish to angle for.

The sparkle pupa is very interesting and I think it will work well, the dubbing used is "Coarse and Wet" dubbing I picked up from Fly Tyers Dungeon in the Christmasbox. All the patterns besides the eggs I have taken from Dave Hughes book "Handbook of Hatches" and I have 18 more of them to tie besides many other patterns from other books.

I am also wondering where I could find some info on using thumbnails for pics. I use imageshack to upload pics but I am not sure how to make the pics appear in thumbnail format.

a rabbit hairwing...

post-11211-0-00236400-1325983028_thumb.jpg

and a Christmasy soft (I think I did this in January?!?!?!?)

post-11211-0-72705900-1325983116_thumb.jpg

Kinda been a slow start this month, hopefully I'll get on the ball....er ...vise...uh....well you know!!! :lol:

Its been awhile since I tied any deer hair so I thought I'de warm up with a couple simple ones, Gotta love the Clown Fish Flies, fun to tie.The fly on the left is Deer hair, the right is Cow Elk. The Cow Elk is great stuff to work with and the length is greater than my Deer hair: For your viewing pleasure

Bruce

post-4571-0-97569600-1326052268_thumb.jpg