Fly Tying
tooskerat

peak vise or thompson Cobra??

hello guy's,

i want to buy me a new vise and i'm hesitating between the Peak vise and the Thompson cobra,

i've read great things about the peak but i love the look of the cobra :dunno:

any advice?

thanks,

rudy

The Cobra has had quality problems with the jaws. I had one and 2 sets of jaws exploded while I was tying and sent shrapnel flying all over the room. If I hadn't been wearing glasses, it would have blinded me.

Buy something else, looks aren't everything.

I bought a peak several months ago and have been very pleased. I tie mostly size 12 and larger stuff, so I don't know how it would be for small flies. I know they make a midge jaw for it.

Got to weight in here....I agree with the other respondants here....Mostly because,if my information is correct D H. Thompson has been sold,and is no longer an entity unto itself. I found this out when I inquired about the "docking station" they used to market. It was a real techno-looking tool/spool rack type of thing. I got a pretty prompt response to my e-mail,which informed me that this item had been discontinued,but the e-mail did NOT come from DH Thompson. Also,with regard to what TroutBum pointed out about the jaw problem....I once had a Thompson Model "A" vise do the same thing to me

Sulphernut

I really like my renzetti traveler cam vice. Maybe I just like it so much because I used to tie on a cheapie that didn't work real well. But I have tied size 22 to size 1/0 and the hook bends before it slips in the jaws.

guy's

thank's a lot for the response

i think i'm gonna buy the peak vise.

i only want my wife to explode :P

thanks,

rudy

I do not know much about the cobra and not to many people do as far as I can tell but the peak is one hellofa vise!!!

I third or fourth the Peak. It is also nice to look at.

No cobra for me, and a shame too..........

The Thompson is a lovely vice, the ONLY problem being jaws which explode if it is not correctly adjusted. I'd use one anytime.

BUT, as mentioned, Thompson no longer exists.

I dread sourcing parts in ten years' time

Let it die.

Shame - the 360 degree was a treat - and a bargain. I have a Thompson A with midge jaws machined by my brother, which is good down to size #50. The jaws were interchangeable between the two and well priced.

Thompson produced the best value for money, i.e. the industry standard for years. Lovely vices.

Pity that their R & D killed what was left of a tradition, buy a Thompson A as an investment.

Tight silks,

Roy

J Stockard has a good sale right now on Peak vises. $25 off and free shipping.

Dave

For information I started tying with a thompson model A, 5 or so years ago I bought the cobra, while tying last week the jaws exploded not pleasant, But I really like the vice, I found a shop in Ma that still sells the cobra, I called and found you can get a replacement cobra jaw set, Made in the USA by adventure corporation In Loves Park Il. It is stainless steel has all screws and spring, and best of all it fits perfectly. I installed it today and it holds very well, so if any of you still have this vice I highly recommend this Jaw set, cost was 79 dollars still cheaper than a new vice.

Phone fore adventure corp. 1 815 885 3203 And it is current.

QUOTE(Grunt @ May 24 2007, 04:31 PM) 239452[/snapback]

I third or fourth the Peak. It is also nice to look at.

No cobra for me, and a shame too..........

The Thompson is a lovely vice, the ONLY problem being jaws which explode if it is not correctly adjusted. I'd use one anytime.

BUT, as mentioned, Thompson no longer exists.

I dread sourcing parts in ten years' time

Let it die.

Shame - the 360 degree was a treat - and a bargain. I have a Thompson A with midge jaws machined by my brother, which is good down to size #50. The jaws were interchangeable between the two and well priced.

Thompson produced the best value for money, i.e. the industry standard for years. Lovely vices.

Pity that their R & D killed what was left of a tradition, buy a Thompson A as an investment.

Tight silks,

Roy

See my post below parts are currently made and high quality.