Fly Tying
flytire

The Universal Vise Corp

I rally enjoyed watching the 3 videos you posted, love the history behind tying and fly fishing. The first universal rotary vise seems really awesome

Great information on Universal Vises. My father was a rep for Universal and I have many along with extra parts. I have been tying on my personal Universal II since the 70's. I would disagree just a bit on the critique of the Universal II as with some polishing, lubrication, and simple shim additions can be made nice and smooth (and why mine is 40 years old and still used daily). The other aspects of the UII of its solid stem has never been an issue with my tying as I use an adjustable chair; I can see how some would prefer the standard adjustable stems on a vise. I also have a Universal II that I was told was a prototype with a spring stop added on top so the rotating jaws can stop at a quarter turn. I will have to get some photos up but I have posted this info with photos on a similar thread at jigcraft.com

I enjoyed the video, tight lines...

flytire - have been intrigued by your posts and flies for quite some time now and only just realized your true identity - really enjoying the fly tying class at Bears Den!

- Tom

tom

ive been to the bears den in taunton but i have never taken nor taught any classes there

mistaken identity perhaps?

to all

i am not the guy in the videos

I have one of these vices and have used it for years. It's not fancy but has gotten the job done for me for decades. My vice that I bought used in the '70s finally gave out when the lever arm and screw holding the lever arm broke. I have it jerry-rigged and keep using it. I'd love to find parts to one of these old vices. If anyone has any leads, I'd appreciate it. I'll keep searching ebay and craigslist too.

post-63316-0-30207100-1530144598_thumb.jpg

Try contacting user JayWirth on this forum - he may have a lead on parts or a complete vise.

I have 2 Universal vises in my stash. I don't get the urge to tie true rotary very often but when I do, they're fun to use. I have a question for those of you who know old vises. Can anyone ID the black vise in the upper right of the first picture? I'd just like to confirm because during my adult life, I've probably tied more small flies with it than all the others combined. It's a great vise for midges and dry flies. A well-known Catskill tier once told me that he thought it was a "Leonard" but didn't know for sure - and I haven't seen another one in the 30+ years I've been using it. It's probably from the '70s and I don't think it's an import. Thanks!

post-34209-0-18245700-1530385833_thumb.jpg

post-34209-0-77179400-1530385855_thumb.jpg

post-34209-0-30053700-1530385874_thumb.jpg

I have 2 Universal vises in my stash. I don't get the urge to tie true rotary very often but when I do, they're fun to use. I have a question for those of you who know old vises. Can anyone ID the black vise in the upper right of the first picture? I'd just like to confirm because during my adult life, I've probably tied more small flies with it than all the others combined. It's a great vise for midges and dry flies. A well-known Catskill tier once told me that he thought it was a "Leonard" but didn't know for sure - and I haven't seen another one in the 30+ years I've been using it. It's probably from the '70s and I don't think it's an import. Thanks!

Here's a pic of a Leonard vise that John Bonasera owns that he posted years ago on the Sparse Grey Matter forum. The model is a little different from yours, but the jaw assembly part of it looks just about identical if you turned it the other way.

Regards,

Mark

post-12032-0-37061300-1530623204_thumb.jpg