Fly Tying
fshng2

Mop Fly Variant

I invite you to go off topic and post any and all MoPs

Got some new material today....Couldn't resist.
She looks like a flapper from the roaring 20's.

(FYI scroll down to see real flies)

post-47446-0-13680000-1504730010_thumb.jpg

What a beautiful puppy dog !!!

It's a shame, the humiliation some people put their 4 legged kids through !!!

Wife just saw the picture over my shoulder. LOL SHE claims it's animal abuse !!!

The things we do to our pets. That's a nice color. An interesting fly. Let us know how it works. I've been toying with the idea of mating mop pieces with a foam popper head. In fact, I've got some sitting in pink and purple dye, so I can tie some mini-mop flies for the South Jersey CFR retreat on October 1st. My salt water club provides lake guides and flies for the ladies participating.

The things we do to our pets. That's a nice color. An interesting fly. Let us know how it works. I've been toying with the idea of mating mop pieces with a foam popper head. In fact, I've got some sitting in pink and purple dye, so I can tie some mini-mop flies for the South Jersey CFR retreat on October 1st. My salt water club provides lake guides and flies for the ladies participating.

Thanks the original fly needed revised (smaller longer hook and shorter tail).

I got plenty of hits from Bream and Bass but couldn't connect.

I retied the pattern on a #6 2x long hook and tried it again this evening and it works much better.

If you plan on tying add enough weight to have it slightly submerged, otherwise as a popper it acts really squirrely.

Fish were all over it as a slightly submerged slider (bullet head) pattern.

I think It's really neat that you help out with the CFR retreat, always good to give back.

NpxDwhc.jpg

zjLeAMT.jpg

Thanks GC59, mikechell and Gene L.

Yep I like the old Pflugers, picked it up on e-bay last year. All it needed was Cleaned and regreased, runs like a top.

I actually though mop stood for something, I didn't realize you guys were tying with pieces of actual mops.

I have more material in the house to go snip from now.....and the wife is still sleeping.....I gtg.

:)

cool fly.

the park visitors are constantly feeding the fish bread and Cheetos and I have seen big cats swimming below

the bluegills waiting for them Cheetos to sink.

I might need to find a toupee like that!

I like it, moving it to a longer hook and shortening the piece was a good idea and it worked which is even better. If I tie some up for bass I'll use a longer mop piece to get more action from the tail. All the ones I've tied so are sinking and they've worked well over the summer for me. This is what my original mop fly box looked like. I've since replaced the dubbed "thorax" with either crystal or sparkle chenille and estaz on the larger ones.

post-309-0-47421600-1505003579_thumb.jpg

I'll post the ones I'm tying for the CFR retreat when I'm finished. Finally got a purple color I can live with.

so far I could only find mops in blue at the dollar store......me wonders if I could bleach em and use a sharpie to change the color.

thanks for the pic.....great looking critters crawling in that box.

so far I could only find mops in blue at the dollar store......me wonders if I could bleach em and use a sharpie to change the color.

thanks for the pic.....great looking critters crawling in that box.

I ordered mine on e-bay.

For the color I used search mop slipper orange.

They come from China and take 2/4 weeks.

Other colors that might interest you: Search

dark green (olive), green (chartreuse), brown or coffee, pink, yellow, khaki, and purple.

Some sellers sell one slipper vs two to cut costs in 1/2.

I've bought most of mine in various stores locally. I've avoided buying the blue ones though they might have some use as a damsel or dragonfly pattern. I've found fluorescent orange, yellow, chartreuse, white and gray. Turns out I had a tan and a maroon dust mop at home. I initially tried coloring some with permanent markers but it was time consuming and soaked up the color in the markers real quick. If you're only doing one or two it's not an issue but it gets tedious if you're doing a dozen or so. Then Easter egg dye. Next I tried fabric paint, had some luck with them. The other day I brought a tie dye kit and that's worked best so far. I gotten various shades of pink, purple, along with yellow chartreuse, fluorescent yellow and a dark olive. Still having a problem getting a decent red and black. Brought some Rit dye(red and black) and will give that a shot tomorrow. and see how that turns out. Still looking for a white mop with long pieces(2-3 inches). Since you mentioned it I might try to bleach some of my other long ones and see if I can get them down to white.