Fly Tying
robow7

Best Regal knock-off vise ?

First let me state I presently own and love my Regal vise, which I have used for 20 years. What I'm looking for is a cheap knock around travel vise of similar design that will likely only get used 2 or 3 times a year. There are several cheap knock off Regal vises out there, maybe they're all from the same Chinese manufacturer and relabeled but I was wondering if someone could point to a model that they were happy enough with. I'm not expecting Regal quality, fit or finish but just similar in design and that works. As always, thank you for your input.

All the same. I thought they were mostly from India (Sunrise), but probably China now too. Not sure why you would bother with a Regal knock-off for a travel vise. Too heavy to be worth the effort in my mind. But, any of them will be fine for what you want to use it for, just as long as the difference in quality does not bother you too much on the road. Best recommendation would be to buy from a vendor you know and trust in case there are issues early.

why not take what you already have on your traveling fly tying excursions?

or

google "terra fly tying vises"

I tried one at Bass Pro yesterday...I don't mean I tied on it, just worked the jaws. They were very weak and I doubt their ability to hold a hook strongly. Of course it was a display vise and had probably been squeezed a lot, but I wouldn't give a dollar for it. Not all the cheaper knock-offs may be like this.

The best Regal knock-off is probably the Stonfo Kaiman. But it costs more than a Regal.

I agree with Flytire, take your Regal.

I too was curious about the rationale of getting a regal knockoff when you are used to tying on a quality vise. Another option might be to just get a c-clamp allowing you to set your vise up while on the road and lighten the load a pound or two. Jack Gartside used to tie with a Regal clamped to the steering wheel of his yellow cab while waiting for fares (most likely while bogarting a butt).

The Regal knock-off at Bass Pro is fine for $50. It has a C-clamp and long riser bar - so if you want to tie in a pedestal base, you might want to shorten the riser. Also check J Stockard for imported Regal knock-offs.

I have one that I have had for some time with no problems, but I don't actually know name brand or anything. The guy at the local fly shop that has since closed ordered it for me a few years back.

I purchased a Regal knockoff from eBay fore the same reason as you and Im happy with it. But I would have really liked to be able to save some more cash and buy the real thing.

It seems to me that the term "best Regal knockoff" is oxymoronic

^^^^^ I sold my Regal so I understand the humor in this post. It is a love 'em or hate 'em type of vise.

Yes they last a lifetime and afterwards you can tie on your tombstone !