Fly Tying

Hey guys, I was looking for some ice dub for composite intruders I wanted to tie and came across fly tyers dungeon... Yes, they have a wide variety of dubbing, but it's hard to figure out what could be used in place for what. Was wondering what your experiences with FTD were and if they offered good alternatives to "Ice Dub", "Ice Wing", or any other material that could make a good shoulder.

I have gotten lots of material from him but I was also looking for the same thing. I have not found what I was looking for yet, but I have not tried everything yet.

Kevin

He has good stuff for great prices. Congo hair is a favorite among tiers including myself, be beware. It does NOT shed water like EP, making it hard to cast. Ep sheds the water which makes it must easier to cast and fish.

Ive never had the issue flats is talking about with shedding water, of course when using any fiber like this, whether its EP or Congo, I tie very sparsely, so maybe if its tied thick there could be an issue, not sure. One of my patterns uses some of their dubbing, and it couldnt be tied without that specific dubbing. Its all quality stuff at decent prices.

Google a picture of "Ice Dub" or whatever you're trying to duplicate. Then compare that to the dozens of styles of dubbing FTD offers.

You can't beat his prices. His service is usually top notch. And it's a pretty good bet that he's got something close to what you're looking for.

On his website he's got a phone number and an E-mail address. He has no reason to steer you wrong ... if you ask him, I am sure he'll tell you which dubbing matches "Ice" the most.

Btw, their starburst dubbing is a lot like ice dub. You will be happy with it.

+1

Agreed - the starburst dubbing is similar. The starburst is also available in fiber which is roughly 4 inches long.

I have had nothing but great experiences with FTD. Haven't used the Starburst dubbing, but have liked all of the 8-10 dubbing I have tried. My favorites are the Kraken (and its variants), Sand Crab, Leech and Arctic Wind. I don't tie many dry flies but the Skeeter Fuzz dubbing has worked great when I have used it. I have only been ordering from him for about a year, but in that time he has almost always had my order shipped out within 24 hours and usually to my door within four days. (Google searches show his shipping time used to be slower, but that appears to have been fixed).

As far as his non-dubbing materials, I like Congo Hair and all of his flash and leg material. The Northern Lights flash material is great and makes streamers really stand out.

While I agree that FTD has some great stuff at incredible prices, why not just use the real thing? Ice Dub is readily available everywhere and not very expensive. Stockard sells it for $2.55 a pack (http://www.jsflyfishing.com/hareline-ice-dub)

Starburst is $1/pack... when you get 5-10 colors it adds up. 10 colors is $10 vs $25.50... just saying. Also ep fiber is $7-10/pack depending on where you get it. And its $2.75/pack at FTD. So overal it could save you $100s if you need multiple colors.