Fly Tying
Gene L

Any updates on HMH TRN?

Except for the initial thread here, I haven't heard any reviews from users of this vise. I'd like to hear from users or even want-to-be users.

I have purchased two TRV's.

Since my last post on the "New" TRV and I have had many hours sitting behind it tying many different type and sizes of flies. I just finished a box full of size 22 midges without a complaint what so ever.

I was at a NJ TU tying event for Casting For Recovery, Project Healing Waters, and TU National Veterans program, and went into the fast and furious tying mode. It was all about speed, getting the hook securely into the vise and tie. NEXT...

The vise will hold a hook with the barest amount of pressure added.

My prior tying desk and travel vise was a Regal, nothing could be quicker than it. The TRV wasn't all that behind in the Regal in securing the hook quickly.

The TRV is over all smaller than a Regal, but after tying a bit my left hand did find a natural comfortable resting spot on it.

It looks like a smaller LAW vise, and I have yet to have any issues in its quality or workmanship.

When you lay out over one thousand dollars for (2) "new" items from any manufacturer, there are the expected and unexpected issues that arise.

I have no issues with either TRV and the quality of materials and workmanship.

If there is one suggestion to HMH after tying lots of flies with it, the back side of the locking wheel, could stand a bit rounder edge.

Other than that, I don't feel it is a new vise what so ever, like I been tying with it for years. I honestly did worry about changing from the Regal, but I don't now.

Again, there is nothing wrong with Regal, it is a very high quality and RELIABLE tying vise in every sense of the word.

I laid out a thousand dollars for two of the TRV's, many of you my think I was taking a gamble, but not really, my first high quality vise after giving up my LL Bean Fly Tying Kit vise was an HMH (which I still have), I had some confidence... but you never know. I now don't give it a second thought.

Im afraid my experience with the TRN was not so good. I ordered one from the first batch and received it as expected. The problem was the quality was not so good, particularly the jaws which were rough castings and soft. Not tool steel as described.

I returned mine and received a full refund but didnt get any comments back from HMH son the issues I had.

The design was ok, but too small for me, particularly the base.

I notice that the TRN is not mentioned on their website, at least not the last time I looked

I purchased one on November at the Edison show. I really like the holding power, and where it holds the hook. I wish that it was finished a bit better. Seems like steps to clean up the tooling were left off at the end. Most obvious defects have polished off with use.

I think HMH has a winner on it's hands if they can clean up the finish work on the vise. I have put several dozen flies through the vise in trout sizes, and I am pleased. I do not regret the purchase at all.

Bazzer putting a lot of negative feedback about the TRV all over.

Not sure what his agenda is?

I havent got a agenda or axe to grind. I purchased hoping the jaws would be as good as a LAW but I was sadly mistaken. I published a mini review of the vise I received. Its interesting that the TRN has not appeared on their website as being available. If they fix the quality problems then I would buy another

Bazzer is known for his honest (although not always ... tactful) opinion. The fact that he's on a lot of sites doesn't mean he's

" ... putting a lot of negative feedback ... all over." It's pretty clear that his "agenda" is to post his opinion about the product.

Since this is your only post on the site ... I am definitely not sure what YOUR agenda is.

I'd like to say, "welcome to the site" ... but until I see more posts from you, I am not sure that fits.

then please provide some positive feedback on the trv vise

we'd all like to hear your opinion with owning/using this vise

Saying the jaws are not made out of the tool steal described by HMH. I doubt that. No wonder they didn't follow up.

I tied on a LAW for 14 yrs and don't have any issues tying on the TRV.

Before I'm asked / price is the reason I no longer have the LAW.

Jmdailey, their advertising stated tool steel, but they clearly were not on mine. Additional the finish was very rough. Although Im a pro I paid full pric since I wanted a decent LAW substitute. Maybe yours was better than mine. I just have given a honest opinion based upon my handling and testing of the product. I have NO axe to grind

Cheers

Jmdailey, their advertising stated tool steel, but they clearly were not on mine. Additional the finish was very rough. Although Im a pro I paid full pric since I wanted a decent LAW substitute. Maybe yours was better than mine. I just have given a honest opinion based upon my handling and testing of the product. I have NO axe to grind

Cheers

Not sure how you know the jaws are soft. Didn't say? Hardness test? Could use a little more info.

Maybe the LAW is the way for you to go. Or LAW substitute like the VN Pro? But both will be considerably more.

Think everyone paid full price whether they consider themselves pros or not.

Hardness? SImple test, take a small file to the material and run the file over it. If the file slides over it its hard as in a knife that can hold a edge or tool steel which is really hard. The jaws on mine were like butter. Do you have any idea how much guides earn a year? Not enough to buy a LAW.

As I already wrote, this is my opinion based upon a single vise that I purchased. You seem like you want to pick a fight, Im not interested. Its the end of the topic for me as I have no more to add

Jul 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: LAW alternative - HMH TRV launched

I received mine a couple

Of days ago and I love it. Im going to put my Renzetti Master on eBay