Fly Tying
ducksoup

Peacock herl?

Looking for some decent peacock herl. Most of what I've seen lately is garbage! Thin, brittle with very short fibers. I got some years ago from Alec Jackson and it has probably spoiled me for life!

I've had reasonable luck with Wapsi strung peacock herl but it isn't the quality you are speaking of.. I had a big bag of some like that and I left it in Maine on a trip up there a couple of years ago.. I don't think my flies suffer or the fish know the difference but I do LOL ! The stuff I lost was just rich and a large quantity of it.. Bears Den has both strung and eyes, you might want to give Scott a call and explain what you are looking for, if he doesn't have it he might order it in for you...

I know nothing about the trustworthiness of this particular outfit. But! If you want longer herl here you go! http://www.featherplace.com/feather-types/peacock/flue-herl.html Buy it by the strung YARD! Divide and share the cost with other tiers/club members. Herl lengths up to a foot or more. The stuff I have been able to buy is usually more like 5" long. Seven inches is the longest I was gifted from the top part of several complete quills by another tier a couple of years back and this is the length of what I have been able to obtain from Feather Craft http://www.feather-craft.com/feather-craft-premium-peacock-herl .

If you can find thick herl anywhere, let us all know. I take three and braid them together for a chenille of sorts and to strength.

I like the peacock k feathers I got from contientialfeathers.com. THey have peacock in several colors.

The also have other feathers there.

Rick

Just a suggestion since I have not done this, submit a request on Craig's List for feathers from peacock owners. A friend gave me a whole vase full of feathers that his father in-law gave him, much better quality than what I often find strung in shops. Even better if the person that answers has kids that you can make a "deal" with for premium feathers.

I can trade kids for feathers? I've got a few kids in the neighborhood I'd be willing to send !!!

I can trade kids for feathers? I've got a few kids in the neighborhood I'd be willing to send !!!

Let me see if I can come up with some flies I could use kid to tie up some flies.

Ummmmm

How much hair do these kids have? Ummmm On second thought shipping costs are probably prohibitive. Never mind.

Hobs feathers in Iowa sold to zuckers. Same zuckers as the packaged feathers in craft stores. Go here to their retail commerce site called featherplace

http://www.featherplace.com/feather-types/peacock/flue-herl.html

Very nice strung peacock. Any length you want. Yes you can choose the length up to 14 to 16 inch individual hearls (not eyes).

Pricey because it comes by the yard. Yes by the yard but very high quality

I’m still using my yard from hobs I bought in the 90’s

Forget my original post about Bears Den unless you want to have them order in for you. I was there yesterday, the herl looked thin and the eyes were too few to choose from presently.

On another note I got a nice patch of elk hair and bleached deer body hair. Also bought a Dr Slick narrow/small stacker for stacking for my caddis flies ( tired of the wide mouth one I have for those small flies)..

You can find whole eyes at Hobby Lobby or Michael's. They're relatively cheap and you can visually inspect them. If you have old, dry herl you can steam it and restore it like you do other feathers. I always twist it with tying thread; otherwise it's weak.

Flytire I think it was you but maybe someone else posted this great article on how to wrap peacock herl. Using the eyes makes a big difference with this method.

http://www.peninsulaflyfishers.org/page-878836

P.S. the article suggests you can only use one side of the eye with this method, but if you reverse wrap (counterclockwise around the hook) you can still use both sides of the eye.