Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

renzetti o-ring and what it does

Not trying to hijack the thread but you can also buy a container of O-rings at Harbor Freight for about 3 bucks. They are rubber but you get about50 O-rings and they will go a long way.

"order a spare parts kit with o-ring, jaw spring, jaw adjusting screw and ball bearings - just in case"

wow.... seems as if those are known high failure parts, they would fix the design or just include them when you buy the vise... if my vise had that many probable failure points, I think I'd be giving it away.

wow.... seems as if those are known high failure parts, they would fix the design or just include them when you buy the vise... if my vise had that many probable failure points, I think I'd be giving it away.

If you have one and you're looking to give it away, I'd be glad to take it off your hands. I've had mine for over 20 years and for the price of the one O-ring failure, I've been able to tie on a vise that's met every need I've ever had.

Regards,

Scott

I don't think Renzettis are repair prone. I have 2 Renzettis, a home vise and a travel vise for 35 years and both are going strong. No parts needed. The O-ring is designed to be replaced so that is not a problem for me. I bought a lifetime supply for about $2.50 at home depot.

Renzetti invented the first true rotary vise and they have been in business since the early 1970's. So there are over 40 years worth of Renzettis out there. That is a lot of vises that may eventually need a spare part. My opinion is that the spare parts kit is a way for Renzetti to avoid having Renzetti owners writing for spare parts. I think it is a way to avoid having to charging for the time and inconvenience to Renzetti and a convenience for owners. If you had to get a screw from Renzetti, they would have to charge you $6 for service and postage even if the screw was only $1.

How about other owners? Ever needed repairs?

Just another suggestion...

I had two O rings become compromised... Switched to normal sized rubber bands, and they worked for a while (had to double/triple them up, but after a while, they broke down), and then when my daughter got braces, a lightbulb went off... The small dental rubber bands work fantastic! Lifetime supply in one bag - and a multiple of colors as well. I recommend using two or three of these at a time to bulk up the look, and to add strength. Theyre incredibly durable. This last bunch has been on for over a year and a half, and going strong...

Andy Renzetti was at the International Rod Building Expo a couple of years ago. He was actually giving out spare "O" rings (I guess Lilly wasn't looking....) Anyway, I got one, even though I didn't need it at the time.

I've been tying on a Presentation 4000 for nearly 20 years, and picked up a Traveler 8 or 10 years ago for traveling. The "O" ring is the only thing that has ever given me a problem. They will deteriorate, with time, and at some point will need to be replaced. but once every 15 years, or so, is acceptable.

Love my Renzetti 4000!

Are we talking O rings? The little round things that cost ten cents and can be found at any large or small hardware store, automotive store, Walmart, target, etc... on the planet. Who needs a source for O rings? Who cares if one breaks or wears out on a vise? By the way my griffin vise has an O ring. It's been there for 20 years or so and it has yet to break. My vises O ring has never been a topic of discussion or thought. Has it been raining the world over for the the last three weeks like it has where I live? Videos on O rings, bobbin cradles and screws ????????????