Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Highdesert

Need help with a fly

First post, long time lurker. I've had this fly for a couple years and it keeps catching fish. Does anyone know what it is called or what the white yarn material is?

Welcome to the site ... and as Noah said ... a picture is necessary to help with ID.

post-63197-0-64947500-1527384298_thumb.png

I thought I attached it, I guess that is what the preview post button is for. Anyways it's a little midge dry, a 26 Parachute Adams does the trick but I'm hoping this is easier and cheaper to tie. Any help is appreciated.

The tail looks like Z-lon, or similar synthetic material. The wing post could be the same or any poly wing posting material. These are not expensive materials, and if you want, you could use macrame cord fibers as well. The hackle is the expensive part, and finding size 26 hackle is a challenge. As far as easy, on size 26 hook I would simply wrap a white hackle, and trim off the bottom half.

Does anyone know what it is called or what the white yarn material is?

At first glance I called it a White Wulff, but ... "the white yarn material" - is that body made up of a braided cord resting on top of the hook and the tail unraveled from the cord/yarn? maybe macrame cord?

Or maybe my eyes are inventing things.

Looks like a small snowshoe sparkle dun. Snowshoe hare is great stuff, floats like nobody's business, but it's no picnic to work with in small sizes.

It's a weird one. Looking at the close up picture of it helped. There is some grizzly hackle wrapped around what looks like the same tail material tied in spinner style I think. It's hard to tell its grizzley b/c it is small and and the black has worn off over time. The wings are about half the size of the hackle and almost create a bubble look around the thorax which is what I think the fish are keying in on. Im going to try some antron and snowshoe Dunn. The material is fluffy/fuzzy and seems to add to the float. I tried some with the parachute post material I had and it didn't have the same effect.

If the Adams works but you want to skip the wings, in midges you can just tie an Adams without wings, the fish generally won't know the difference.

Whatever the material, it appears to be tied across the top, then flared with the hackle ...

tying guess.jpg

Maybe not ...

If the collar is part snowshoe I would start with a technique Matt Grobert uses on his Matt's Gnat, touch dub the snowshoe and wind.

This is how I would approach this fly.

Tie in snowshoe for tail and trim to 2/3 of the shank. Wrap over the snowshoe with thread to form the abdomen.

Tie in a grizzly hackle.

Touch dub the snowshoe and wrap forward to form a collar.

Wind the hackle forward through the snowshoe and tie off.

Whip finish.

This... and it isn't snowshoe hare - from Blue Ribbon Flies:

bxivEUs.jpg

Zelon floats, Antron does not float:

https://www.blue-ribbon-flies.com/how-to/antron_vs_zelon/

For small sizes, use Improved Micro Zelon:

https://www.blue-ribbon-flies.com/shop/improved_micro_zelon/

PT/TB