Fly Tying

Bobbin threader on the run....

Broke my last threader. Although most times just start it and it'll suck right thru. Saw this in catalog. Smallest wire I had was 58# salty stuff. It works even on a ceramic one. 12# mono worked for tightest. Solarez in the plastic beads outa leader crimping box....Improvise!

IMG_3898.jpg

I made a few long time ago from fiddle strings, A & E strings. I made handles from maple dowel.

The beads are nice.

I've tried threaders a few times but always find I loose them or by the time I've found them and used them the old suck method would probably have done two bobbins.

The thinnest guitar wire also works and is great for spicing lines, making braided loops, and garroting small rodents.

Rocco

while i still have good lungs the old draw method works

or

FlossThreader-main.jpg

2X on the GUM threaders. I find that it hangs nicely on my vise so it doesn't get lost on my bench. I do spin it while inserting into ceramic lined bobbin holders.

re: GUM threader

expose the tag end to a flame to create a micro ball and it will better slide over ceramic inserts...

Thanks tjm for tip. Was wondering where I could get tiny wire!

I had an uncle who was always changing his strings on various instruments and those cast off music wires found many uses on my bench, in the right size it can be a spinner shaft or an extension for a hook.

Well heck! But dat stuff too soft however.....needs to be spring steel I figure. First thought, nope...

I've been using the GUM floss threaders for years. Started when I was building rods, much quicker and easier than using wrapping thread to pull the tag end of the wrap under the under the wraps. Also since I whip finisher handicapped I'll use it to finish off the heads on my larger flies and for securing the thread when I'm wrapping legs on the sides of foam patterns.