Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Chewy Horned Caddis

So I am changing up the way I do my fly tying videos for a few months, I am not doing the voice overs, instead I will be listing below the materials I used on the fly, and also a quick tutorial typed up on what to do. So click the read more to view all that.

This fly is a caddis emerger, with horns. The body material used is really stretchy and makes nice ribbing on the abdomen. I really like using it. Just get a nice taper on the fly, and wind it on, not pulling too tight and you will have a perfectly segmented, and tapered body to the fly.

So here is the materials used on the fly, and below this also look for the step by step on tying it.
Hook: Firehole sticks #316 in size 14
Bead: 4MM black brass bead
Lead: .025 and .010 lead wire
Thread: Veevus 10/0 in black
Abdomen wrap: Chewee skin in caddis green colo
Horns: Black crystal flash
Thorax dubbing: Hairtron dubbing in dark brown
Glue: Hard as hull head cement
Step 1 - Attach the bead
Step 2 - Make 8-10 wraps with the .025 lead wire
Step 3 - Make 10-12 wraps with the .010 lead wire
Step 4 - Make wraps of thread over your lead wire to create a smooth taper.
Step 5 - Cut the chewee skin with a taper
Step 6 - Attach the chewee skin on the back of the hook on the thinner part of the tapered skin.
Step 7 - make wraps up the hook, progressively getting looser as you reach the bead.
Step 8 - Capture the skin, cut off the waste, and make tight wraps to keep it in place.
Step 9 - Tie in a single strand of crystal flash, and then tie in the forward facing part rearward as well, making sure they are separated a bit.
Step 10 - Dub on some hairtron dubbing and cover up over the horns a bit.
Step 11 - Whip finish your fly.
Step 12 - Brush out the dubbing slightly
Step 13 - Add a drop of head cement.
Step 14 - Fish your fly!

Stupid music, I hate tying videos or any how to video with music vs commentary. There is a place for music, I love some music ( not that music) even produce some myself but music doesn't belong in how to videos. I like the fly by the way..

Cant please everyone with music. But video would get pretty boring being silent. Thanks man, I am glad you like the fly btw...

Very nice Video and pattern.
I have not used Chewee Skin, but it looks easy to use.

Some advantages that come to mind for anyone making videos with no voice and written instructions.
Simple Patterns:
1. Works well for simpler patterns
2. If music becomes annoying ...mute it
3. More efficient to review written steps
4. Makes for shorter videos

Disadvantages for no voice.
Complex Patterns:
1. With complex patterns it may be helpful to have some verbal instruction
2. All videos benefit from written steps as it makes reviewing more efficient

Suggestion: A really close up of the Fly with contrasting background at the start and end of the video is really helpful.

Very nice Video and pattern.

I have not used Chewee Skin, but it looks easy to use.

Some advantages that come to mind for anyone making videos with no voice and written instructions.

Simple Patterns:

1. Works well for simpler patterns

2. If music becomes annoying ...mute it

3. More efficient to review written steps

4. Makes for shorter videos

Disadvantages for no voice.

Complex Patterns:

1. With complex patterns it may be helpful to have some verbal instruction

2. All videos benefit from written steps as it makes reviewing more efficient

Suggestion: A really close up of the Fly with contrasting background at the start and end of the video is really helpful.

Thanks man, yeah I always did the voice over with verbal instructions, and also wrote the material lists. However, this takes longer than you would think to do voice overs. And like you mentioned, the videos tended to be slightly longer. Also like you mentioned, for more complex ties, ones that really could benefit from voice over, I plan on doing it still. As for the close up, my camera doesnt go much closer than what that is. Not for video. However, for a picture it does, because the picture is taken at a higher pixel concentration and allows me to crop it. So maybe at the end Ill get tighter with a picture like I do with the thumbnail picture for the video...

I have tied with UV Chewy Skin using this pattern which is similar to Mcflylures. One issue is that it really looks great but is not durable.

I have tied with UV Chewy Skin using this pattern which is similar to Mcflylures. One issue is that it really looks great but is not durable.

Yeah its not too durable your right. 1-3 fish max. Seems like it would be. One way you can combat that is to coat the skin with head cement or thin UV resin. Of course that would take away from its chewie-ness lol. Maybe a flexible UV resin would help. Its super effective stuff though, so personally I dont mind that it falls apart. If I catch 2 good fish with it than its served its purpose in my opinion. Lol

I've also heard that it's not just a durability problem but that the material (chewy skin) will simply deteriorate over time much like a ruber band will.

I have never been able to make it work, Chewie skin always self destructs in my boxes. Could never find a coating that didn't eat it up either. I liked the material but could never get anywhere with it, if anyone has any answers, I am all ears.

I have never been able to make it work, Chewie skin always self destructs in my boxes. Could never find a coating that didn't eat it up either. I liked the material but could never get anywhere with it, if anyone has any answers, I am all ears.

I use my Flies up before it deteriorates, so Ive not had this issue. Ill give a few coatings a try... let ya know.

Could you cover it with something clear that is more durable like a clear scud back or tubing? You could probably tie in the Chewie skin and the scud back at the same time and wrap them together. Just a thought, very nice looking Caddis pattern.