Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
PNWflyguy

Squirmy Worm Help

Hello all,

I need some help with finding a good way to secure the squirmy worm material down. I have been trying a couple different ways and they all have failed, either the Squirmy Worm material rips or the wraps are too loose and the material slips out. Ive talk with my local fly shops and they all seem to tell me that it is problem with that material and didnt much of an answer. So Im hoping that you guys can help me out.

Tight Lines!

It's a pain but so realistic. Most times when you sinch down on it it goes in the opposite direction you want. Negative psychology. I fasten with modest pressure then try to make wraps to get it where I want it. Never had trouble holding it and to tight braking it. It'll stretch and be strong then brake with nothing it seems. When I make worms I just glue at the bead; pull it thru with bobbin threader. Most ain't long enough on the toys so use 2 pieces. Comes in long lengths from mat'l suppliers. Sorry prolly not much help..

IMG_3551.jpg

IMG_3091.jpg

IMG_3547.png

Some of the foam frogs used no thread glued between 2 pieces of foam

IMG_3584.jpg

I haven't tied up many ... because I don't like working with the material. But, the best way I was taught ... superglue. superglue it where you want it, then wrap thread over it from back to front, making each turn a little tighter. The last turn or two can be tight enough to cut through the "rubber".

worm material.jpg

Dubbing works great for a simple worm. Just a very bare layer of dubbing on hook then on thread as you wrap over rubber.

I thread the material part way on the hook. Then make some thread wraps on about 1/4 of the hook. Super glue and run the material over the thread.

Also put thread on the middle part of the hook and then run it on like a wacky worm with superglue.

Rick

I haven't tried rigging them wacky style. Might be worth a shot. I just thread them on the hook like I would a live red wiggler. Secure them with a small drop of super glue in the places where I insert the hook. Have to use a lob cast with them but the sunfish like them.

Thanks Philly! The simplest idea for worms yet. Thread on hook and glue. Duh. Why didn't I think of that. Easy peasy. And prolly work wacky style and glue. Last for a couple or more fish. Need to have easy way cuz they get mangled. Been recycling hooks. Not so much wear and tear as legs though...