Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Static electricity

So, I have a pack of primo deer hair that the hairs stick to me like crazy. However on other packs I dont have this problem. What could be the issue? Could anyone tell me if there is anything to fix this problem? The static on it is nuts, and I cant even seem to easily brush it off my desk.

Check Al and Gretchen Beatty's advice for hair prep in the spring 2018 Fly Tyler magazine. It's made a difference in my work with static hair. It's in their article on Wulff patterns

Why this batch on none of the others?

Two possibilities come to mind:

Could be the plastic used to store it is different and more prone to static buildup.

Could be the oils on the hair itself, or lack thereof.

Dryer sheet, as mentioned above, or a light misting with water. Get a small "atomizer" (Windex type bottle) and keep it full of water. A very small mist, applied just before using, can greatly reduce the amount of static ... or at least its effects.

Noah, Ill check him out.

Mike, yeah I dont know why its not on other batches... I bought 3 sets of the primo hair. One in olive, one in black, and one in yellow. All were bought at the same time when Jsflyfishing was having a sale on it. None of the other two have issues, and none of my other deer hair do either. The plastic seems the same with the other two...

I've learned over the years that a few different techniques work with materials and static.. The first is quite simple - instead of using that dryer sheet on the material - I simply "dry-wash" my hands with that dryer sheet which seems to do the trick. Secondly, instead of misting the material with water I'll keep a small custard bowl on my bench half full of water then dip my fingers in it to moisten them when working with fine or static laden materials (particularly for maribou when tying out of doors or at exhibitions where I can't be working in calm conditions..). I tie in the material then wet my fingers and stroke them into place allowing them to dry naturally afterwards - works very well for maribou bugs where otherwise you're forever fighting their tendency to get in the way of subsequent tying steps...

Funny thing I only have static problems in winter when we're in relatively very dry conditions (for south Florida that is...).

I've learned over the years that a few different techniques work with materials and static.. The first is quite simple - instead of using that dryer sheet on the material - I simply "dry-wash" my hands with that dryer sheet which seems to do the trick. Secondly, instead of misting the material with water I'll keep a small custard bowl on my bench half full of water then dip my fingers in it to moisten them when working with fine or static laden materials (particularly for maribou when tying out of doors or at exhibitions where I can't be working in calm conditions..). I tie in the material then wet my fingers and stroke them into place allowing them to dry naturally afterwards - works very well for maribou bugs where otherwise you're forever fighting their tendency to get in the way of subsequent tying steps...

Funny thing I only have static problems in winter when we're in relatively very dry conditions (for south Florida that is...).

Im in the mountains and its much more dry in the summer here. This summer especially. We have had some bad fires! Not sure if you heard of the fire in Durango, but also there is one in NM just 200 miles south. Its like a tinder box here. Everything is ready to catch flames. I think yesterday the weatherman said it was 5% humidity...

Ill give all this a try, thank you.