Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mvalbano

Swiss Vise

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone on the forum owns or has experience with the Marc Petitjean Swiss vise? Specifically I'm looking for information on the hook holding power especially in the bigger sizes. In my brief hands on with a friends, bigger streamer hooks and even long shank dry fly hooks were slipping in the jaws under moderate pressure and I was wondering if any owners out there had the same experience? I know its rated for hook sizes 9/0 - 32. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Michael

I believe there's a guy here who ties allot of Pike flies that uses the Swiss master and seems to love it. I'm blanking on his name though.

Yes Adam got one last year. He would be a good one to ask.

fullsizeoutput_2870_zpsa2vo5phw.jpeg

Mustad Signature Series Tarpon 6/0

The jaws are NOT as intuitively user friendly and tenacious as a Law or Jvise but will hold plenty tight enough to tie...

to bend, NOT so much...

The Swiss is a bit complicated with curious "subtleties" but thoughtfully designed and built well...

After all, it's the Swiss Army Knife of vises...

Thanks Pete! I hope your enjoying your new home! Hope to see you at the symposium or fly fishing show this year.

Mike