Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eastcoastflycompany

Flash/Synthetic Fibers/Streamer Brush Management

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to get some opinions on material organization/storage. I have a huge amount of materials, and while I've found over time good ways to store other materials, the shear number of flash, synthetic fibers, and streamer brushes has overwhelmed me, and I haven't come up with good solutions.

So, how do you store materials like flashabou, ep fibers, sf fibers, and streamer brushes?

I'm currently using 2 methods for flash- I have 2 flash "wheels" that hand the hanked flash and it spins. It's similar to commercial flash wheels on the market. The problem is, I have WAY more flash then room for flash wheels, and they take up a lot of room, so the majority I keep in rubbermaid drawers sorted by type of flash.

I was just clipping the corner of the bag and pulling fibers out, but on large orders it just got to be too much of a hassle.

As far as streamer brushes go, there are some unique circumstances. Most are twisted wire with fibers, and straight out of the package they are fine. I keep new packs on slatwall/pegboard, but often times, I'm left with pieces of varying sizes of leftovers, and I've been keeping them in rubbermaid bins, but the wire inevitably twists from use/storage.

Thanks everyone!

Welcome to the site, Eastcoast.

I can't help you. I don't "collect" materials, so I don't have problems with storage.

What I do is put long strands of stuff like flashabou or crystal flash, into straws. Then just lay them in the drawer for flash. I keep Macrame cord and body braid in old paper towel tubes.

My system is very intricate. It begins by leaving the flash in its original exceptionally flat packaging. I then lay these incredibly flat packages on top of each other in a plastic shoe box in a mishmash hodgepodge manner. I store all of my flash in one box. I think you can put at least a hundred or more packs in one box.

Your on your own for brushes. I just make them as I need them and I throw away any left over ends thats not big enough for another fly.