Fly Tying
McFlyLures

Whiting hackles

Hey guys, so on their website they say the high and dry hackle is close to the same as the bronze quality. So my question is, what is the difference if they are the same? Im looking at getting capes... not saddle. I tie too large of range of Fly sizes for the saddle.

Ok good to know, so Im guessing I want the bronze or silver grade then from whiting. I tie a lot of tiny flies, 18-24. Ive got a few of the cape tops for the 22s and 24s, but yeah, my 18s and 20s are in need. Haha.

Saddles usually are centered on about 2 sizes so you could ask for a saddle with size 18 - 20 hackle and you would have near a lifetime supply. They are also cheaper than necks of the same quality. However, I like to grade my own hackle and I usually buy the pro grade. You can really get some bargains in the prograde but you gotta be able to open the package and grade the hackle yourself.

If you need something specific, I would strongly consider going over to Fly Fish Food's site and checking out their graded flash hackle. No guess work in buying, they tell you the sizes and grade you're getting.

If you need something specific, I would strongly consider going over to Fly Fish Food's site and checking out their graded flash hackle. No guess work in buying, they tell you the sizes and grade you're getting.

$115 for a silver grade black??? Lol. The going price is $90. I think not. Even at my local fly shops they are $90. Too rich for my blood. I can get a gold grade for $5 more. Haha. I stopped after looking at the first 5 on that flash sale. Too much money.

$115 for a silver grade black??? Lol. The going price is $90. I think not. Even at my local fly shops they are $90. Too rich for my blood. I can get a gold grade for $5 more. Haha. I stopped after looking at the first 5 on that flash sale. Too much money.

Did you by any chance watch the video re: Flash hackle? a gold whiting cape for $95, where? Hebert Miner gold can be around $90.

Did you by any chance watch the video re: Flash hackle? a gold whiting cape for $95, where? Hebert Miner gold can be around $90.

No gold is $120... their silver was $115. So for $5 more I can get a gold. Sorry if I didnt explain that well enough. But no I didnt watch the video...

So without knowing there was a video, I didnt see it before. I went back and watched it. So I get it, its an exceptional type of hackle. That silver might be as good as a gold or better. Ok I understand. However, still too pricy for me. Ill stick with bronze or silver for now.

What needs to be considered is, how many more flies will I get by buying the premium capes and saddles. I'm not a professional, I just tie what I use and teach a few classes for my local fly fishing club.

Whiting IMO is the best for dry fly hackle. I use the others for wet flies and streamers. But they all have rooster capes and saddles that will work for dries.

Take the advice of the pros on the forum. You will pay more up front but what you get in return more than makes up for it.

What needs to be considered is, how many more flies will I get by buying the premium capes and saddles. I'm not a professional, I just tie what I use and teach a few classes for my local fly fishing club.

Whiting IMO is the best for dry fly hackle. I use the others for wet flies and streamers. But they all have rooster capes and saddles that will work for dries.

Take the advice of the pros on the forum. You will pay more up front but what you get in return more than makes up for it.

Ok well I dont mind getting a whiting. Bronze or Silver is fine. I just need to save up for them. I dont have $90 spare money for a silver right now, and let alone $120 for gold. So getting just one cape will take 2-3 months in Bronze price. I can't afford to go to the $120. Even though I know the price per fly goes down drastically, I still can't afford it. Hope that makes sense?

Absolutely makes sense. You could get some Indian or Chinese capes to practice with. I have some of those but I'm not making videos either.

Does help me appreciate the quality of Whiting, Metz, and Keough.

Trust me, when it comes time to do a dry fly class they will do a fly with a Whiting and an Indian or Chinese cape or saddle to see the difference.

I do have a suggestion, purchase a saddle to use for hackle and use a hen cape for wings on mayflies.

When you compare a feather from a rooster and hen you will see why. I feel the hen provides a much nicer looking mayfly wing.

Ok well I dont mind getting a whiting. Bronze or Silver is fine. I just need to save up for them. I dont have $90 spare money for a silver right now, and let alone $120 for gold. So getting just one cape will take 2-3 months in Bronze price. I can't afford to go to the $120. Even though I know the price per fly goes down drastically, I still can't afford it. Hope that makes sense?

Bronze is excellent, silver is amazing. I never gave gold a thought as silver is so good. That being said we're all individuals and act as such. A good thing IMHO

I don't know why one would need to pay $90.00 and more for feathers.

E-bay ... $25.00

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fly-Tying-Whiting-CDL-Hen-Cape-Silver-Speckled-I/302696215766?hash=item467a19b4d6:g:sHQAAOSwlStax7yl

s-l1600.jpg

Depends on what you're tying, doesn't it? I have one of those CDL capes. I use it mostly for tailing. I know it has to have other uses too. I just haven't gotten there yet. BTW, I'm not arguing.