Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Stimulator style Caddis

So this fly worked wonders for me last time I went and fished. The fish were destroying it on the top water, and almost coming out of the water after it. It was being hit hard! And I only don't have it anymore because I lost it, and not because it came apart. Its quite durable actually.

So as promised here is the list of materials and step by step listed below.
Materials....
Hook: Daiichi 1270 in size 18
Thread: Veevus 10/0 in olive
Tail: White Polypro Yarn
Ribbing: Veevus 140 Power thread in brown
Dubbing: FTD's Skeeter Fuzz in caddis green
Wing: Primo Deer Hair Strips died yellow or gold
Hackle: Genetic Rooster Cape in Olive
Head Cement: Bone Dry UV Curing Resin
Step by Step....
Step 1: Start your thread half way down the bend of the hook.
Step 2: Tie in a strand of 140 power thread
Step 3: Tie in a few strands of polypro
Step 4: Tie both the thread and polypro down deep into the bend of the hook
Step 5: Dub a tapered noodle onto your thread with your dubbing
Step 6: Wind the dubbing up the hook shank creating a tapered body
Step 7: Make spaced wraps with the thread up the abdomen to create ribs
Step 8: Trim off a fair amount of deer hair
Step 9: Prepare that deer hair by removing the underfur, and aligning the tips in your stacker
Step 10: Tie the prepared hair onto the top of your fly insuring the hair extends to about the end of the hook
Step 11: Trim off the waste of the hair
Step 12: Clean up the head
Step 13: Dub on a bit more dubbing and create a bit of a tapered head
Step 14: Prepare an appropriate sized hackle feather by cutting off the fuzzy parts, and snipping off the lower fibers.
Step 15: Tie in the hackle so the shiny side is facing you
Step 16: Wrap your hackle around the head as many times as you can to create a very thick and bushy head
Step 17: Capture the hackle carefully insuring not to trap any fibers, pull all fibers rearward, and then tie back up onto the hackle a bit to insure no fibers are caught and facing forward.
Step 18: Trim off the waste hackle
Step 19: Whip finish your fly
Step 20: Cement the head
Last step: Fish your fly!

Nice pattern very similar to what I have fished for years over fussy fish ( stream side I sometimes shorten and scruff up the wing to make it an emerger) . But what tell tail signs make you call it a Stimulator like Caddis ?

I like your thinking, could be one of the mini green hoppers you were talking about or a big green caddis. I want to downsize the hackle and use olive deer hair after seeing yours. Nice work, this is the one I was expiramenting with.

post-63197-0-52918800-1529192353_thumb.png

Nice man, but around here we have mini yellow hoppers. This is my kids fingers. He is 4yo. So they are small. post-58316-0-77385600-1529198924_thumb.jpeg

I don't want to rain on your parade, but Greg Garcia came up with his Mini Hot, which is mini stimulator around six years ago when he was working with Charlie Craven:

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/print.cfm?parentID=181

PT/TB

I never said I invented it... lol. Nothing new under the sun. I see people do videos on wooly buggers. However I have not seen that specific pattern before, thanks for sharing. Also, mine is slightly different. Not much, pretty darn close. But instead of a hot spot butt, its got wraps. Yes though, very similar. But like I said, you cant put thread and material on a hook without doing a pattern exactly like someone else has, or very similar to someone elses pattern. Ive been told that, its impossible to come up with a brand new pattern now a days without using a new material that just came out. Lol.

Nice pic on that Hopper, I was thinking about the Mini Me Hopper you posted. Going to try some yellow Stimi's and maybe some tan foam with a yellow sharpie. Your Son is much better at catching grasshopper's than me, probably better at fishing too.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but Greg Garcia came up with his Mini Hot, which is mini stimulator around six years ago when he was working with Charlie Craven:

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/print.cfm?parentID=181

PT/TB

I'm a big fan of that fly. Easy to tie. Floats good and pretty durable too. I tie them in a few days different colors.

I like the fly and plan on tying and fishing it. Thanks for the video and instructions.

I like the fly and plan on tying and fishing it. Thanks for the video and instructions.

Happy to help. Let me know if it works as good for you as it does for me.