Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
chugbug27

DMC Cotton Embroidery Floss v DMC Wool Yarn

I'm trying to get the general lay of the land re uses for DMC cotton embroidery floss v DMC wool yarn...

Woven flies (both?), ribbing (cotton?), dubbing (wool?), Soft hackle bodies (cotton?) Dry fly bodies (cotton?), Streamer bodies (wool?), Nymph bodies (wool?), Other?

Much thanks re ways you may have liked or disliked actually using either or both...

I have a book written by Don Holbrook and Ed Koch called Midge Magic. It's published by Stackpole Books.

The largest fly in the book is size 18 and goes down to size 32. Almost all of patterns use DMC embroidery floss. Some use Coates and Clark.

The appendix is a list of colors by number.

If you can get the book I highly recommend it. I carry several of the patterns out of the book and have had good success.

I use DMC floss for midges, bodies, hot spots and I did weave one fly with it. I'm just not a fly weaver. It's just thread to me so I have no complaints. My wife cross stitches so she has hoarded every conceivable color that she very neatly wraps on cards and stores in color coded number order in clear cases. Never tried the other stuff.

All the books I have that refer to floss are using silk or rayon.I've looked at cotton floss a jillion times and always persuaded myself that almost anything is better than cotton for fly tying.

Wool yarn I have used lots of (not that brand but wool) and I would use wool in almost any kind of body, it can be brushed apart and dubbed, or wound on as yarn and then brushed 9or picked out with bodkin) to rough, or untwisted to lay flat as floss and coated.

Thanks tjm, wool yarn as floss "coated," is that coated with wax? And I've read that, too, about not using cotton... But that's what the DMC embroidery floss is made of, and it's in a lot of patterns I've seen... Maybe there's a version of it that's made of rayon?

I used lacquer just as if it was rayon. Not something I've done a lot, but I tend to improvise.

I like wool yarn, it's cheap and easy; that doesn't mean that it is better than other materials, just that I like it better.

The cotton may work, it just looks lumpy and dull to me, wet cotton seems lifeless, I don't like polyester thread either. But, I'm not an expert, really, and anyone's millage may vary.

I haven't seen DMC mentioned but my books are old and basic stuff. If the pattern calls for a specific material, it may be best to try that material.

This actually may be a good body material; https://www.amazon.com/DMC-1008FPK1-Treasures-Assorted-8-7-Yard/dp/B001C1SYGS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529167987&sr=8-1&keywords=dmc+rayon+floss

https://www.dmc.com/us/dmc-satin-floss-9003459.html

DMC's Satin floss is made of rayon. Go to their website. Their product line may surprise you.

In this old thread some guys say cotton is great: http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=44335

Thing is the term "embroidery floss" designates a type of thread or yarn that may be used in embroidery work, it is like saying metal when you mean steel or copper. I have seen embroidery done with all kinds of floss and several kinds of yarn. If the writer said to use cotton floss or to use silk floss it would be clear what he/she meant. Using a brand name that makes many products is at the very best vague.

I've already got the cotton &wool in assorted colors, really just trying to figure general guidelines for their best uses as I'm trying to organize and whittle down my horded materials.

And thank you everyone, this has been helpful

I know the why you shouldn'ts of using cotton threads. But when it comes to a midge I use it. I have some that a tied quite a few years ago. Haven't rotted yet. Haven't gotten a rusty hook. Let them dry before putting the back in the box.

Lumpy bodies are no problem. Embroidery floss is 6 strands. Undo the strands. I use this on midge patterns size 18 and smaller.

@rstaight,

I read the preface and intro to Midge Magic on Amazon, that's a great backstory. 25+ years matching, tying & fishing embroidery thread midges on his home PA limestone stream.

I have a book written by Don Holbrook and Ed Koch called Midge Magic. It's published by Stackpole Books.

Almost all of patterns use DMC embroidery floss.

DMC%20Floss%20Card.2.jpg

CB, Here's some patterns done with floss, never had an issue. I like that I can pare it down if I chose. Satin Floss on the featherwing.

post-61693-0-39543700-1529188401_thumb.jpg

post-61693-0-15123200-1529188433_thumb.jpg

post-61693-0-42672300-1529188608_thumb.jpg

post-61693-0-80146900-1529188672_thumb.jpg