Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FishnPhil

Standard Nymph Hook, Standard Wire, Standard Shank, Question

I found the Daiichi 1550 and Eagke Claw Lo60, and those only go down to size 18. Does anyone know of an equivalent for a nymph hook in a standard wire? Everthing tells me it should be one of the following but none of them match unless I am misunderstanding something.

Mustad 3906 - 3x heavy wire

Orvis 167t, which appears to not exist and directs me to Orvis 1641 - 1x short and 2x wire

Eagle Claw Lo60 - does not come <#18

Partridge G3A - 1x or 2x heavy wire

TMC 100- Searching the forum for which hooks other people use for flies that might call for a standard nymph hook, such as pheasant tails, lead me to the TMC 100 (or 101 for those averse to down eyes), which is a 1x fine wire, dry fly hook.

Searching through the fly hook sites and catalogs, I find nothing else.

What gives?

Go to Eide's website ... http://flyhooks.org/

hundreds ... actually, I think he's crossed the 1000 mark ... of hooks for comparison. I don't believe there's a more inclusive list, with pictures, anywhere.

I just got done organizing a bunch of hooks... The old Mustad 3906 seems equivalent to Daiichi 1550 and Tiemco 3796. The Tiemco 3796 is a standard length nymph & wet fly, 2x heavy.

Phil

I have a simple script online that allows you to search for hooks fitting whatever criteria you are looking for:

http://fishermonk.com/pl/q_hook.pl

Since I wrote the script for my own use, the database of hooks is limited to those I actually use. But you might find it useful anyway.

(To see what hooks are included in my database, submit the form with no boxes checked.)

There are different standards for different types of hooks. Dry fly hooks are on "standard" weight and lighter weight wire. The " standard" length is whatever the manufacturer says is "standard." Fortunately, most brands are pretty close.

Nymph, wet fly, and streamer hooks are tied on heavy wire, designated by 1XH to 3XH, again there is NO uniform standard, but most are close enough. What most people call a "standard" nymph hook is a 1XL in a 1 to 3XH wire. The Tiemco (TMC) 3761 is a 1XL hook with a sproat bend that is a very common "standard" nymph hook. Montana Fly Company has a similar hook in their 7076 which has a size range from 8 to 20. There are quite a few other hooks that have this configuration. Mustad has 3 different models with a 1XL shank.

Many people like to tie bead heads on a 2XL shank, since the bead takes up some room on the shank.

A "standard" wet fly hook is usually the "standard" hook or 0XL. These shanks are very close of not identical to the shank length of the "standard" dry fly hook, they just have a heavier wire.

Allen Fly Fishing Hooks have 3 1XL hooks, the D202, the W501, and the S201. The D202 is a lighter wire hook for dry flies, The W501 is their "standard" nymph hook, and the S201 is sold as a "Carp" hook. Presumably it has a very heavy wire.

I noticed in rockworms data script that when you put in criteria of any kind, you won't get all the hooks that fit the criteria. Display without criteria will list many but not nearly all the options in any style. It is an old script, but still useful.

The nymph hook is 3906B to me, it was in nearly all the recipes before anyone else had hooks, going by memory it is 2xl & 3xh and goes down to maybe 18-- on tiny flies I tend to simply tie smaller on a hook big enough to have a gape.

3906 is standard length and 3xh wire, used as the wet fly hook. Then my memory may be faulty.

The 3906B is also a favorite of mine but it only goes down to size 16. However the 94840 works well too ( rated dry fly but I use it for nymphs too fairly often) and it is offered down to size 24. The profile is about like that of the 3906B as to length per size which is longer than the 3906, which is quite short.. The 3906 series has a slightly wider gape but the new 94840 Signature series are closer than the old Classic series ones and now with micro barbs. That 94840 signature is a nice all round hook IMO. I use it for dries wets and nymphs.

The standard 3906 is going to produce a very short body profile by comparison..

My understanding is the original poster wants a standard length, standard weight, straight shank hook, which is what the Daiichi 1550 is, only he wants it smaller than a size 18. The Tiemco 100 gets the length but goes 1x fine, but gets you down to those small sizes nicely; the Mustad 3906 gets you the length but gets you 3x heavy, but only gets you to #20 if that's small enough.

I'd like to know what the original poster wants the hook for and why

If he wants a nymph hook the heavier the better.

If he wants to tie a nymph on a dry fly hook then just do it

If he can't get a smaller hook then just tie a smaller fly on the smallest hook. No commandments telling you you have to use the entire shank

yJeYcKR.jpg

I mainly use the TMC 101 for my small nymphs, as I have an aversion to down eyed hooks. I think I have them down to a size 30. Don't tie anything that small these days. I use the TMC 2488 for my midges. I still have them down to size 32, but again I don't tie on them. Back in the winter to answer a question on another board I tied a sparse PT Nymph on size 18 TMC 101 and on a size 18 TMC 2488. Probably should have used a smaller bead on the 2488. I'm not sure how useful the 2488 would be for tying nymphs.

post-309-0-58402400-1529340055_thumb.jpg

@rockworm, that's a great script tool!

Thanks. I find it more helpful than paging through Schmidt's Hooks for the Fly.