Fly Tying
Bryon Anderson

Poor Man's Airbrush

How many times have I watched people using the Copic airbrush system, and it never once occurred to me to DIY it like this guy has. This requires a bit more trial and error than the Copic to master, probably, but still a genius idea in my book.

https://youtu.be/DaKM2iztCFc

Bryon, I saw that posted on another site sometime back and agree it's a pretty cool method especially for those of us who don't make a huge number of bugs. You can get cans of air and Sharpies on sale pretty often.

Dave

Depends on how deep you want to get into it.

Make a dozen a year yeah that and the Copic is fine.

Those cans are what? $4-$7 each and the markers...Copics are $7-$8 and you will go through them like dirty socks...Sharpies much cheaper.

I went through this a year and half ago, I listened to Kimo

took his advice and bought an entry level airbrush and a small C02 tank...couldnt be happier.

Sorry I havent got back you Byron...I will

Why complicate it, just use the sharpies al dente.

Can't really "blend" sharpies. Using the "airbrush" method allows for prettier paint jobs.

Just like many of the "display" level flies, looks are for people, not for catching fish.

while not really a poor mans version, this is a more versatile system than the copic system. accepts 6 different brands of markers vs only 1 with copic

26993-1001-2ww-m.jpg

craftwell ebrush airbrush system

Depends on how deep you want to get into it.

Make a dozen a year yeah that and the Copic is fine.

Those cans are what? $4-$7 each and the markers...Copics are $7-$8 and you will go through them like dirty socks...Sharpies much cheaper.

I went through this a year and half ago, I listened to Kimo

took his advice and bought an entry level airbrush and a small C02 tank...couldnt be happier.

Sorry I havent got back you Byron...I will

No worries Mike, there's no rush, I'm just kicking around ideas right now. I will say that I wouldn't be considering any of this if it weren't for the enjoyment I've had fishing (and just admiring) the handsome poppers I got from you. 🙂

I suspect I'll end up with a paint-based airbrush in the end, but this is how I generally come at new hobbies: gradually, and entertaining the "no need t I spend any real money" fallacy. 😂

Why complicate it, just use the sharpies al dente.

Can't really "blend" sharpies. Using the "airbrush" method allows for prettier paint jobs.

Just like many of the "display" level flies, looks are for people, not for catching fish.

Agreed, no question: the airbrush effects are for me, not the fish. What can I say, I like pretty things. 😏

while not really a poor mans version, this is a more versatile system than the copic system. accepts 6 different brands of markers vs only 1 with copic

26993-1001-2ww-m.jpg

craftwell ebrush airbrush system

Flytire, thanks! I like this. No more expensive than a Copic system with a compressor, and more versatile vis a vis markers.

if youre not going for the museum quality air brush paint job try......

04-8727-0_Product_Core_Airbrush_Boy_F.jp

LOL okay, now I sense that you're joking, but that's actually pretty cool too 😁

No, he's not kidding. You can get those at Target.

Home Depot has an airbrush kit from Testors. Now you have use for your old model paint.