Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Flashy CDC Emerging Midge

CDC is one of my favorite materials for emergers or dry flies when tying small tiny flies. Buying hackle that small can cost a fortune, but CDC tends to be better priced. And you can save the tip ends and use them for dubbing, or other techniques with emergers and dries.

This fly takes a few things from other flies ive seen and combines them to form this flashy and effective fly. The CDC wing sits right at the surface of the water film, with the rest of the fly hanging down into the water, enticing trout to bite. This was one of my most effective flies on my last trip.

As always here is a list of materials I used on the fly.
Hook: Firehole sticks #317 in size 20
Thread: Veevus 10/0 in black
Tail: Polyproplene yarn
Ribbing: 1/100th pearl flashabou
Hot Spot: Yellow Goose Biots
Floating Wing: CDC feathers in black
Dry Dubbing: Superfine Dubbing Black
Flash Dubbing: Ice Dubbing Peacock
Resin: Solarez "Thin Hard" Resin
Usually I epoxy the head of the fly, but I did forget this time while filming. I will paint on some thin resin, then whip finish the resin into the head. Then cure it. You could do the same with any head cement.

Good job Mac.

Suggestion for indicating where to start and stop thread for tie in points. Instead of saying " Start a little ways behind the hook eye, not too far", try something like "start wrapping just behind the eye and stop at the hook point". This will give the tier a better idea of the body proportions. Same with "wrap materials 2/3 down the bend of the hook".

Good job Mac.

Suggestion for indicating where to start and stop thread for tie in points. Instead of saying " Start a little ways behind the hook eye, not too far", try something like "start wrapping just behind the eye and stop at the hook point". This will give the tier a better idea of the body proportions. Same with "wrap materials 2/3 down the bend of the hook".

Ok...